New Harvesting Option - Fat = Tallow Candles

Big bearded Bear

Firstly, hi everyone

Unsure if anyone has suggested this but when harvesting a deer how about adding fat to harvesting option (fat 1 KG max).

You could then use the fat to craft tallow candles, which could be used for reading books whilst waiting for a blizzard to pass or just for general lighting purposes.

Crafting Tallow Candle – weight per candle 0.25kg (4 candles from 1kg of fat)

• Boiling time for 0.25 kg of fat is 15 mins or 1 hr. for 1kg
  • Craft 4 wicks from 1 cloth - crafting time 30 mins.
  • Craft 2 to 4 candle molds from 1 tin can or 1 fir / cedar wood - crafting time 1hr or dev's could add small empty plastic bottles, which could also be used to hold candles etc, this would save your hands from being covered in fatty wax.
  • Crafting time per candle 20 mins – crafting table required.
  • Each candle would have a duration of 2 hrs (seems fair).
  • To extinguish candle, simply blow flame out or pinch wick with wet fingers.

The above is just a general idea but I would really appropriate some input from my fellow survivalists, i.e. should you be able to craft without crafting table?

But guess in the long run, we have to let the dev’s decide what a reasonable time for crafting times and durations of candles, if they are added that is.

Cheers all

P.s. I cannot wait for Tales From The Far Territory to be released on console next year. The game is available on Xbox game pass but I still bought it anyway as it is such amazing game and I wanted to support the dev’s, just like everyone else has.

Edited by Big bearded Bear
  • Upvote 6

30 minutes ago, Big bearded Bear said:

Firstly, hi everyone

Unsure if anyone has suggested this but when harvesting a deer how about adding fat to harvesting option (fat 1 KG max).

You could then use the fat to craft tallow candles, which could be used for reading books whilst waiting for a blizzard to pass or just for general lighting purposes.

Crafting Tallow Candle – weight per candle 0.25kg (4 candles from 1kg of fat)

• Boiling time for 0.25 kg of fat is 15 mins or 1 hr. for 1kg
  • Craft 4 wicks from 1 cloth - crafting time 30 mins.
  • Craft 2 to 4 candle molds from 1 tin can or 1 fir / cedar wood - crafting time 1hr or dev's could add small empty plastic bottles, which could also be used to hold candles etc, this would save your hands from being covered in fatty wax.
  • Crafting time per candle 20 mins – crafting table required.
  • Each candle would have a duration of 2 hrs (seems fair).
  • To extinguish candle, simply blow flame out or pinch wick with wet fingers.

The above is just a general idea but I would really appropriate some input from my fellow survivalists, i.e. should you be able to craft without crafting table?

But guess in the long run, we have to let the dev’s decide what a reasonable time for crafting times and durations of candles, if they are added that is.

Cheers all

P.s. I cannot wait for Tales From The Far Territory to be released on console next year. The game is available on Xbox game pass but I still bought it anyway as it is such amazing game and I wanted to support the dev’s, just like everyone else has.

There is a mod that does this already. I used it and liked it.

Obviously with the TFTFT release it's current one functionality remains to be seen.

Like the idea! Though I think 2 hours is a little short of a duration, I'd trade crafting amount for usage time. So maybe only able to craft 2 candles per KG of fat but they last 5-6 hours each?

Keeping in mind that to light them you'd either have to use up a match (in harder difficulties these are a precious resource) or grab them and light them from a fire...Flares and torches would make sense too.

Edited by Darkwolf1o1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Darkwolf1o1 said:

Like the idea! Though I think 2 hours is a little short of a duration, I'd trade crafting amount for usage time. So maybe only able to craft 2 candles per KG of fat but they last 5-6 hours each?

Keeping in mind that to light them you'd either have to use up a match (in harder difficulties these are a precious resource) or grab them and light them from a fire...Flares and torches would make sense too.

Matches, in harder difficulties these are a precious resource

Haven't thought of that, only on Voyager at the mo, did try Interloper after completing story missions, but that did turn out to well. Going to try Stalker sometime over the weekend.

Have a good day Darkwolf and thanks for info,👍, something to remember when I'm out in the wild on Stalker

Cheers 

B

9 hours ago, codyh said:

I adore candles in RL, I would just love to have the soft flickering throughout my house and destroying my eyes as I try to read

Would have to agree there. Although for me they also have calming effects even though I now use imitation flamed candles, as sometimes I fall asleep in the arm chair. But you cannot beat a flicking flame from a real candle.

Have a good day Codyh 👍