Firearm Cleaning and Sharpening Hidden Skills

Drakias

So I was thinking about the unlisted skills Firearm cleaning and sharpening. It would be nice if they were made into actual skills with levels. Stones could be an option to sharpen blades and have it tied to the sharpening skill on efficiency, The stone would be a one time use sharpening tool and then be consumed. Firearm cleaning kits would be nice to be repairable with using cloth, metal scrap, toolbox, and workbench.

Sharpening level 1:
Stones have a high chance of decreasing durability of a blade instead of sharpening. Whetstones consume 5 durability per use. Durability of blade is increased by 2. Time to Sharpen 12 minutes.

Sharpening level 2:
Stones have a moderate chance of decreasing durability instead of sharpening. Whetstones consume 4 durability per use. Durability of blade is increased by 3.Time to Sharpen 10 minutes.

Sharpening level 3:
Stones have a slight chance of decreasing durability instead of sharpening. Whetstones consume 3 durability per use. Durability of blade is increased by 4. Time to Sharpen 8 minutes.

Sharpening level 4:
Stones have no chance of decreasing durability during sharpening. Whetstones consume 2 durability per use. Durability of blade is increased by 5. Time to Sharpen 6 minutes.

Sharpening level 5:
Stones have a slight chance to not be consumed on use of sharpening. Whetstones consume 1 durability per use. Durability of blade is increased by 6. Time to Sharpen 5 minutes.

Firearm cleaning could be tied into repairing cleaning kits, maybe tie the ability of actually repairing them to level 3-5. Durability of the cleaning kit and amount repaired could reflect the ratio's above along with cleaning times.

I like the distinction between secondary and primary skills... There are complex skills you can upgade by reading books, and the skills linked to your proficiency with certain repair tools that you can only improve by using those tools. I wouldn't want the secondary skills to be turned into the primary ones. In fact I'd like for there to be more of them. Secondary skills are simple, and often in gamedev simple is good. 

Also, I don't think whetstones and cleaning kits need a renewable alternative / way to fix them, because there are already milling machines in the game that allow for repairing your tools for as long as you have scrap metal. 

Welcome to Hinterland Forums! It's nice to see new usernames here. 

Edited by Ghurcb