The long dark outdoors challenge

RegentRelic

I had a "good" idea on how to make replaying Wintermute more interesting. Because as it stands, I think Wintermute is too easy for veteran players even on thier first play through. What if I couldn't go inside! Of course, there have to be exceptions. I am allowed to go into quest essential buildings to talk to quest givers, but I'm not allowed to take or use anything and if there is an item, I need to do something, like the crowbar to open the elevator door at the end of episode two. I'm allowed to use it for that only. I'm going to have to define indoors as any place with a loading screen or fade to black. It has to be this way or there are no beds in episode one (in practical places). I am playing on hardened survivor by the way.

Episode One - The opening is pretty much all quest essential so, it plays out as normal. I go for the flare gun, but I won't be using it since it was looted from indoors. Mackenzie's parka I don't think actually exists until intro ends so, I technically didn't loot it (really, I just didn't think about it until now.) The crash is the same except I'm going to have to get this rest to last the of game (or so, I thought). After talking to grey mother, I go to church to get the supply cache figuring that I'll be able to get her almost enough food from them. I get to the church, and I can't find the cache. "Hum, I could have sworn it was right here"? I look up where it's at and I was right. It's just not here. I there the game is bugged or the supply cache only appears ones you get the quest (I was playing on Xbox.) Well, that makes this much more complicated. I head over to the overlook, this is going to be my home for the rest of the episode. The weather hates me for a few days so, killing wolves and not freezing is a big issue. After Hunting A billion rabbits and about seven thousand wolves I manage to get enough food with no axe, two matches and most of my clothing gone. I took a break from the challenge for a while after this since it wasn't very fun luckily episode two was going to be much better.

Episode Two - I decided to start a new game for episode two so, I would start with more gear. I grab max's axe and head up stream to the destroyed lookout, then go to intact lookout to get some sleep! After looting the train car I'm stop paying attention as I walk over to the dame and get walk right on top of a wolf. Not a great start. I use some fancy foot work to avoid the rest of the wolves and get to enjoy the sight of The Old Bear walking through a wolf during the cut scene. I should mention I have to spend as little time indoors as possible as well. When I do have to go inside. I decide to go the river route to get some shut eye in overlook cave. A blizzard picks up, but I have made this trip dozens of times so, I know I'll be fine. Things take a turn for the worse when I run out of energy climbing the rope, but I make it an Ice fishing hut before in plenty of time. The rest of the episode plays out as normal just with much less loot. I wish there was a difficulty setting above Hardened survivor that was around the difficulty of this challenge for episode two. Hard enough that it is too hard for people who are new to The Long Dark, but not a manual saves/RNG grind like episode one. If Hinterland is worried about people play Brutal(I am going to call this theoretical difficulty Brutal because StarCraft two is perfect (heavy sarcasm.)) Then It could be locked behind locked behind either betting Wintermute, unlocking a certain number of feats, or surviving a certain number of days. Maybe have a "cheat code" to unlock it. Something like clicking in and out of Wintermute on the menu screen five times. 

Episode three - I am currently playing episode three and wanted to ask if you guys know of any outdoor kerosine or riffle ammo?

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...