Tips for PV Plane Bear

Sgt Socks

I would be very grateful for some help with the bear spawn at the PV plane.

In my many runs over the years I've only ever had the bear here and handful of times, and it never went well!

Does anyone have any tips on dealing with this particular bugger? Any sneaky and preferably as safe as possible tips on how to get him would be hugely appreciated!

I've been having a run of bad luck and really don't want yet another run ending prematurely.

Thanks in advance

Sergeant Socks, over and out

I don't recall the surroundings of that spawn, in fact, that bear is unfamiliar to me!  My standard advice for bear hunting still applies though - find a fallen tree or rock with an inaccessible ledge you can drop to if needed and shoot from there.  With a change some time ago, they can get to you on a fallen tree, but not if you are out on one of the smaller branches (in my experience).

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

I don't recall the surroundings of that spawn, in fact, that bear is unfamiliar to me!  My standard advice for bear hunting still applies though - find a fallen tree or rock with an inaccessible ledge you can drop to if needed and shoot from there.  With a change some time ago, they can get to you on a fallen tree, but not if you are out on one of the smaller branches (in my experience).

Thank you Hozz. I am grateful for the information about trees, I didn't know that had been changed. You have saved me making a costly mistake there!

I too use the same approach as you when tackling bears. I did try to find such a place for this particular bear but was unable to. Possibly due to my rather panicky attempts, I may have missed the spot I need.

I am considering the other option when it comes to bears. Get the loot you need fast and get the hell out!

• 4 months later...

For the first time I was going after the bear on Skeeter's Ridge.  It would walk in the East-West valley that its cave accessed into and come around past the Hunter's Blind and by the crashed plane.  

I opened the plane's cargo door and the bear passed close enough for a good hit with an arrow (I keep low condition arrows since they break on impact as a means to wound [if it didn't kill] a critter and even if I don't find the carcass I still have the broken arrow that I can harvest).  I was prepared to run up into the passenger compartment (and did anyway) if the bear came my way.  It didn't.  I presume that the game knows that it can't path to that location so the alternative is it runs away.  

The bear took awhile to bleed out.  I presume it was heading largely back to its cave when I had to go back to the abandoned prepper cache to eat and sleep.  

I spent the next two days searching that narrow valley for the carcass.  I went all along the Southern side of the valley, even climbing up to the ridge (next to the crash plane area) and nothing.  I was calling it quits when I decided to keep an eye on the Northern side of the valley but the bear carcass couldn't be there, could it?  I had not seen nor was there really any place to have a dark spot on snow.  

Then I found a crow feather.  Looking up I spotted a murder of crows circling where they should not have been.  Climb up the slope and there on a rock projection was the bear carcass.  😲 A sampling of meat was 34% condition.  I took the hide, that kilo of meat, then decided based on its condition to quarter the carcass then head down to the bear cave to rest.  

Next day I moved the quartering bags, bear hide, bear guts, and the single kilo of bear meat to the abandoned prepper cache.  Only anomaly was that I only recovered five bags and there should have been seven or eight.  I had pulled one bag from the snow - the cursor detected it - but two or three bags were never found.  Lost about 1/3 of the bear meat, but 2/3 was better than none which I was already rather resigned to.  

I play in Pilgrim so YMMV.  

9 minutes ago, UTC-10 said:

For the first time I was going after the bear on Skeeter's Ridge.  It would walk in the East-West valley that its cave accessed into and come around past the Hunter's Blind and by the crashed plane.  

I opened the plane's cargo door and the bear passed close enough for a good hit with an arrow (I keep low condition arrows since they break on impact as a means to wound [if it didn't kill] a critter and even if I don't find the carcass I still have the broken arrow that I can harvest).  I was prepared to run up into the passenger compartment (and did anyway) if the bear came my way.  It didn't.  I presume that the game knows that it can't path to that location so the alternative is it runs away.  

The bear took awhile to bleed out.  I presume it was heading largely back to its cave when I had to go back to the abandoned prepper cache to eat and sleep.  

I spent the next two days searching that narrow valley for the carcass.  I went all along the Southern side of the valley, even climbing up to the ridge (next to the crash plane area) and nothing.  I was calling it quits when I decided to keep an eye on the Northern side of the valley but the bear carcass couldn't be there, could it?  I had not seen nor was there really any place to have a dark spot on snow.  

Then I found a crow feather.  Looking up I spotted a murder of crows circling where they should not have been.  Climb up the slope and there on a rock projection was the bear carcass.  😲 A sampling of meat was 34% condition.  I took the hide, that kilo of meat, then decided based on its condition to quarter the carcass then head down to the bear cave to rest.  

Next day I moved the quartering bags, bear hide, bear guts, and the single kilo of bear meat to the abandoned prepper cache.  Only anomaly was that I only recovered five bags and there should have been seven or eight.  I had pulled one bag from the snow - the cursor detected it - but two or three bags were never found.  Lost about 1/3 of the bear meat, but 2/3 was better than none which I was already rather resigned to.  

I play in Pilgrim so YMMV.  

I've always wondered if it was safe to shoot it from the plane... I had visions of it running round past the cave into the crash area so never risked it..

• Upvote 1

I do hunt.  I just will stop using low condition arrows.  Not that I have a pile of such, just a couple, but in places where finding a carcass can be a challenge or the food situation is not bad, I'd rather get the arrow back rather than have it and the animal disappear into the hinterlands never to be found.  

In the situation I described, I was actually writing off finding the bear carcass when the clue dropped that led me to it.  Otherwise, I would console myself that at least I got the broken arrow back and could craft a replacement.