Deer are hazardous, even dead ones.

UTC-10

Look at what this deer did to me... and it was already dead! 😲

Walk up a slope to the carcass.  BAM, an ankle sprain. 

Harvested the venison and guts with my knife.  BAM, a wrist sprain! 

Harvested the deer hide by hand.  BAM, another wrist sprain! 😨

I have only had nearly that many sprains in such a short (real) time once while mapping near Carter Hydro.  At least that I can remember for the past few years.  :)

20220915211538_1.jpg

• Upvote 1

Holy crap! I am so relieved you survived. I don't think that deer was going to let off easily...

(I personally think the sprains system is broken. I can understand why they put it in, but the way its actually set up is quite preposterous. It's why I always take sprains off).

But this is good to know if I ever come across a carcass on an incline playing a set rather than custom game

Good grief. I'm starting to sense you are disaster prone as me my friend 😁🤷‍♀️🤦‍♀️

I don't think the sprain system is broken.  It is RNG driven and getting craps every time it rolls for several rolls would be rare but possible.  Anything more "situational" would likely entail much more effort across the entire map than the devs would have been willing to devote to just that affliction.  

I knew that carcass was in sprain country.  That was clear to me.  What surprised me was getting three sprains in the process of getting to and harvesting the deer despite not moving (much) for the two wrist sprains.  Otherwise it was a calculated risk.  

At least I can be glad the deer wasn't faking being dead (it had been killed by a wolf) and pulled out a backup gun and plugged me.  😉

I've noticed that if you spend a long time on a slope (even if you are not moving), you have a higher chance of getting a sprain as soon as you move. You don't get sprains for sitting on a slope, but you will the moment you move. I slept and passed time without moving while on a slope and got a sprain the moment I moved, so try not to move if you've spent a long time on a slope. 

The ankle sprain would be reasonable since I had to walk up to the carcass. The two wrist sprains were less so since I technically didn't move when harvesting the venison and guts then harvesting the hide.  A case could be made that harvesting the way I did could have been construed as if I was moving even if I wasn't.  The angle of view on the carcass does or did change between those two operations.  

Crampons might have helped except there would be no way to really know other than no sprains occurred and I really wasn't expecting any sprains anyway.  To a great extent, I would put them on when needed but that's more because they're supposed to do something even if we have no clue as to how well or how badly they worked.