More crafting... ways to pass the time on long runs

Sgt Socks

I really would like to see more crafting options, things to do on a long run to actively pass the time rather than the pressing of a button.

Human beings have evolved to create things to pass the time so life isn't just survival. I know if it really was me in Great Bear I'd have created some more interesting ways to pass the time.

The crafting options are actually very limited and for me the lack of things to make and do discourage long runs. It would be nice to battle the weather and wildlife more than boredom. There are only so many rabbits you can skin before you can't take it anymore and throw yourself into the Ravine.

• Upvote 1

You have a point.  Maybe one big project that requires materials spread out across the maps.  

This is a bit far fetched but people have been asking for fishing huts so how about one of those?   Numerous trips to find scrap metal and visits to forges to make the stove alone could take quite a while..  as I said far fetched but something along those lines would certainly keep you busy. 

And welcome to the forum🙂

Edited by Leeanda

I don't think I can agree...  Most of my runs over the years were "long runs," and the game as it is, has never discouraged me from continuing a run.  I can also say I've never found myself getting bored either.  However, I am one who fares well in true open-world settings.  I frequently find/create own "personal challenges" that always serve to test my limits and force me to focus on in-game skill I may otherwise not have much call to use in my "normal" style of play.  

In some ways, I'd say that our limited options cause our survivor to have to be more careful and deliberate; to better use the resources we have/find.

I'm not against having more crafting options... but I don't think they are needed to give the player "more to do" for a longer run.  Each run can essentially go for as long as we want (once we get proficient in our survival tasks).

I'll echo what I've mentioned before on a similar subject:

On 4/4/2021 at 5:25 PM, ManicManiac said:

I always have the urge to venture out... I tend to set up at least a couple of primary encampments in each region.  That alone can keep me busy for a few hundred days (just exploring and trying to build up reserve stocks at my chosen spots).  If I start feeling a little too comfortable... I tend to just set out again with nothing but my essentials kit, and get set up again in a different area.

So far, I've never been bored with anything on Great Bear Island... but then I'm the kind that does well in a sandbox (that is I am one of those who thrives in a "make your own fun" type of situation). :D

I really love that once we get proficient with our survival tasks, that it's really up to us to find creative ways to just live in Great Bear on our own terms... and for how long.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac

Maniac, I totally understand what you're saying, it makes perfect sense. However because I feel the boredom doesn't mean that I don't challenge myself, or that I'm unable to find ways to keep myself entertained. In fact that is a core part of who I am in real life. I'm disabled and as a result spend 90% of my time isolated at home. I probably speak to another person once or twice a week. With chronic pain and PTSD if I didn't challenge myself with the little things, if I didn't have the capacity to keep myself entertained, well.... 

And indeed I do this in game too. Diggity put it perfectly, I'm a tinkerer (a printmaking artist in real life). I love making things, coming up with random projects to keep my hands busy and my mind occupies. Tinkerer is such a perfect description! Of course a game is going to be more restricted than real life. However I do feel that as a character in the wonderful TLD world I would be making use of all the resources available to make stuff, just for the hell of it. As Diggity said "it's a shame with the forge and all the scrap around that we can't do more". I just feel that this is the weakest aspect of the game. Many humans are tinkerers of one kind or another and the devs wouldn't have to make it super complicated, just give us a few bits and pieces to work towards.

I love the way Leeanda put it "one big project that requires materials spread out across the maps". Or even lots of little ones. There had to be more we can do with all those cured pelts and guts, paper, scrap metal etc. And the saplings. They could have multiple uses. I simply feel that we are severely restricted by the game. Whilst I think TLD is one of the best sandboxes I've ever played (I'm an old lady gamer), the lack of crafting options, or projects if you like, is its biggest flaw. After all it is about solitary survival in a brutal world, and many many humans tinker and create in such a situation.

I'm not asking for huge crazy things. But it is a massively missed opportunity in my opinion.

• Upvote 4

I like the idea of having more things to craft.

One idea is maybe have ziplines? They would take a long while to make, and would be pretty useful for late game travel. Not only would they be pretty cost heavy but would require pretty regular maintenance to work without the risk of the line snapping while your using it and getting a serious injury, like fractured limbs.

Another thing would be igloos. They would require much more time to make than snow shelters, but would be a more permanent structure as well that would last weeks without repairs, and only decay from bad weather.

• Upvote 1

Lemon, I couldn't cope with ziplines! I struggle enough with some of the precarious, exposed high areas in Great Bear. I always want to close my eyes crossing the dam!

Igloos however sound fun! I could put one out the back at Trappers and I'd be like a kid again camping in the garden!

• Upvote 1