Fresh wolf carcass?

Leeanda

@Leeanda

I've not run into a fresh wolf carcass like that.

Though on Timberwolf Mountain I did once come across a felled deer (despite there being no wolves in the area, nor had I hunted one at any time during the previous week).  However, I did come up with one theory that reasonably explained the deer that I had found.  In my case, I think that a wolf had started stalking the deer, the deer was able to evade (kiting the wolf a good distance from their territory), the wolf then caught the deer, but was likely scared off by a bear that was known to occasionally pass by the area.  If that is the case, then the deer I found would have been a perfect storm if an unlikely series of events. :D 

As for your wolf... we know that wolves, bears, and moose don't interact (at least not in any hostile way).  Your encounter is certainly an oddity, I don't recall there ever being any wolf prop carcasses in that area (so the possibility of a glitch rendering a fresh carcass rather than a ravaged carcass seems out the question).

:D Perhaps then, a present left for you by Jeremiah, Molly, or Methuselah?

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 1

Just now, ManicManiac said:

@Leeanda

I've not run into a fresh wolf carcass like that.

Though on Timberwolf Mountain I did once come across a felled deer (despite there being no wolves in the area, nor had I hunted one at any time during the previous week).  However, I did come up with one theory that reasonably explained the deer that I had found.  In my case, I think that a wolf had started stalking the deer, the deer was able to evade (kiting the wolf a good distance from their territory), the then caught the deer, but was then likely scared off by a bear that was known to occasionally pass by the area.  If that is the case, then the deer I found would have been a perfect storm if an unlikely series of events. :D 

As for your wolf... we know that wolves, bears, and moose don't interact (at least not in any hostile way).  Your encounter is certainly an oddity, I don't recall there ever being any wolf prop carcasses in that area (so the possibility of a glitch rendering a fresh carcass rather than a ravaged carcass seems out the question).

:D Perhaps then, a present left for you by Jeremiah, Molly, or Methuselah?

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Whoever left it there it was very much appreciated 😁.  I was running seriously low on food and i needed the hide for a coat. It's the first wolf,dead or alive I've seen round that area at all in over three years oddly enough..  opposite clearcut over the bridge from grey's house.

I have heard of a few people finding intact deer carcasses before so your explanation seems sound.   

Still a bit unnerving though😊 

Edit.. at least I've got some food.. after wasting 10 rounds on the moose I gave up and went after the bear.... Deep fog followed so couldn't manage that one either😁

Edited by Leeanda
  • Like 1

They aren't exactly fresh. Just frozen old carcasses like the deer. There are several of them around. Other places are Bleak Inlet in front of the transition cave, Hushed River Valley at Monolith Lake, or a cave in Ash Canyon.

Just now, Serenity said:

They aren't exactly fresh. Just frozen old carcasses like the deer. There are several of them around. Other places are Bleak Inlet in front of the transition cave, Hushed River Valley at Monolith Lake, or a cave in Ash Canyon.

They are always ravaged looking though and the meat is never fresh when harvested. This one was very fresh and undamaged.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2022 at 9:37 AM, Leeanda said:

It's the first wolf,dead or alive I've seen round that area at all in over three years oddly enough..  opposite clearcut over the bridge from grey's house.

Do you mean at Paradise Meadows? In my current Stalker run, I have not been able go out the door without at least being barked at. Or of you mean the Orca Gas Station’s woodlot, then I have seen wolves there as well. One dead one was laying quite near a grazing moose, actually...

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

Sorry I meant the one leading to the church. Past the crashed car.

Ah. Well, I am currently planning on heading there. If there are no wolves there, I will leave every tin of sardines I find from here on at a location of your choosing as a sacrifice.

If you mean anywhere in mountain town then how about grey mother's porch. 

If on the entire island then the lighthouse at desolation!😁 

Not likely though if you're on stalker.   I'm on pilgrim by the way.

2 hours ago, Leeanda said:

If you mean anywhere in mountain town then how about grey mother's porch. 

If on the entire island then the lighthouse at desolation!😁 

Not likely though if you're on stalker.   I'm on pilgrim by the way.

I don’t think porches are safe anymore, as I was chewed up by Rufus while on the porch at Paradise Meadows. I used to play on an easier-than-Pilgrim custom setting, so Stalker was quite the jump.

On the original topic, sometimes there is a wolf carcass in the transition cave between Mountain Town and Mystery Lake.

I don't think anywhere is really safe anymore!😊.   But I meant leaving the tins there, IF there are no wolves in that spot.  

That wolf isn't intact though!   I normally harvest those wolf carcasses for the hides! It's a free coat at the end of the day!😊

5 hours ago, Leeanda said:

That wolf isn't intact though!   I normally harvest those wolf carcasses for the hides! It's a free coat at the end of the day!😊

Strange. I seem to remember finding that wolf intact. Oh well. I will check when I move to Mystery Lake in search of rifle rounds.