Cheating to get feats.

Pablo_Loko

It is necessary to correct a mistake due to which the player can get some feats with the help of fraud. 

Let's go! In survival mode, we save up first aid syringes and coffee. Save the game. We use all this and load the save. And so on until the corresponding feat is obtained. I haven't checked on other episodes, but in the fourth one it works 100%!

The same mechanics work with bonfires. We save fuel and cans. We light bonfires and repeat the same manipulations described above.

I hope the players will forgive me for this betrayal😁.

Who cares though? The Long Dark is a single-player game. Cheat all you want, it won't hurt anyone.

Sure, there are some exploits that I'd like to see removed, like finding directions by dropping a stick (or any item, really) or lighting fires by proxy.

But feats are a part of meta-progression. You can start a run with them. That means, having them at your disposal is a part of intended experience, and it doesn't matter wether you spent hundreds of hours grinding for them.

Also, what you described still takes quite a bit of determination and patience on the side of the "cheater". So if someone got their feats that way, i think they deserved it.

• Upvote 1

All the more reason to allow for feat progression within custom game settings.  If people are working towards a feat within a game mode they most enjoy playing, they are less tempted to engage in what I'll call "grinding exploits."

The real flaw is in the feats themselves... which are based on grinding/repeating an action many, many times before earning the slight perk they offer... which totally encourages the use of exploits/cheats to acquire them.

As was pointed out, however, TLD is a single-player game... and as such, the only thing the "cheating" player does is cheat themselves out of the thrill of having played the game in a totally honest way.  HL could spend a lot of time and effort trying to close off such exploits... or they can spend their time expanding the actual game and its story in more meaningful ways... which would be my preference.

• Upvote 2