DIY Furniture

piddy3825

2 hours ago, bladerunner900 said:

The fire bug has been long fixed in CH, but panels as a basic screen from the wind is still handy. Also. The level of base customization remains to be seen. I will re-evaluate when, or if it ever happens. Besides. It's more crafting in the game as it stands. Make use of all that wood that re-spawns.

4 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

I've been reluctant to use that mod, in anticipation of HL giving us Safehouse Customization.

I simply love modding my game, especially as it relates to decorating my home base.  I've been patiently waiting for years for enhancements by the dev team and I too am eagerly awaiting the base customization updates.  That being said, I'm going to keep my expectations low as I have my reservations about how comprehensive these improvements really will be.  I suspect we'll finally be able to hang hides on the walls, maybe even be able to fix a torch in a wall sconce for lighting but I hope and pray that the improvements are really surprising.  I dunno...

4 hours ago, bladerunner900 said:

Anything that gives us more to do with available material is good in my view. Besides just repairing what we already have it's nice for instance, to have more crafting options for all the skins that accumulate. But keeping expectations low is wise I think. Judging by the performance hit to the game by some mods, it's best not to raise our hopes to high.

The only one I've noticed that significantly impacts performance is the Better Bases mod. Entering someplace like carter unmodded takes 1 second to load the scene, but with the mod installed it's closer to 15. All those extra interactive items contribute to the scene's loading time, and it will be like that as long as the mod is installed even if you don't make any actual changes inside. What the game is doing, near as I can tell, is it loads all objects, then "remember" which ones you've broken down and despawns them. By making every object interactive, instead of only having to worry about say crates and chairs, now desks, wall decorations, lockers, doors, fences, miscellaneous equipment, drawers on the floor, wall hangings, etc. are ALL interactive. And the game now has to remember THEIR state, in addition to the objects from the base game.

It's easily the "best worst" mod out there, IMO. It's great because of what it offers cleaning up the junk, moving furniture around, etc. Especially combined with DIY since you can really make a place yours. But it's going to permanently slow down your entire game.

Edited by ajb1978

16 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

The only one I've noticed that significantly impacts performance is the Better Bases mod. Entering someplace like carter unmodded takes 1 second to load the scene, but with the mod installed it's closer to 15. All those extra interactive items contribute to the scene's loading time, and it will be like that as long as the mod is installed even if you don't make any actual changes inside. What the game is doing, near as I can tell, is it loads all objects, then "remember" which ones you've broken down and despawns them. By making every object interactive, instead of only having to worry about say crates and chairs, now desks, wall decorations, lockers, doors, fences, miscellaneous equipment, drawers on the floor, wall hangings, etc. are ALL interactive. And the game now has to remember THEIR state, in addition to the objects from the base game.

It's easily the "best worst" mod out there, IMO. It's great because of what it offers cleaning up the junk, moving furniture around, etc. Especially combined with DIY since you can really make a place yours. But it's going to permanently slow down your entire game.

I'd have to agree that "Better Bases" is indeed the best of the worst when it comes to taxing gameplay.  The loading times are immensely long and just for that reason I had uninstall it.  I did have a chance to chat with the mod author and they were fully aware of the issues but were also reluctant to put any effort into improving their content until Hinterland rolled out their base customization content.  I can see the logic behind it, as why put all the work into making a mod that may just become irrelevant when the game devs release their improvements.   I do miss the ability to move things around and particularly to clean up the litter, which is why I was using it in the first place.  I do think that once we get the new content, there will still be a need for a mod like Better Bases, at the very least I suspect we will see the return of the mod Remove Clutter which had been incorporated into Better Bases.  

In the mean time, I'm counting the days til we get the next update.  Now if only I could get my little fox companion back...

3 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

they were fully aware of the issues but were also reluctant to put any effort into improving their content until Hinterland rolled out their base customization content.

Yup that's partially why I'm just not even worrying about mod issues right now. Like some DIY items (but not all) disappearing on scene reload, that's a problem for later. I'm gonna end up tabling that run until the mods are fixed and starting a throwaway game to just experience the new stuff before I do it "for real" with my long game.