Quick Time Event for Charging Wolves, Pre-Attack

Neko-san

This is moreso a QoL feature suggestion but, I found that in some painfully "specific" scenarios, charging wolves are just unavoidably lethal with absolutely no way of survival if condition is beneath a certain threshold.

Say, you're desperate for food in an advanced area (because you're traveling through it to reach either an intermediate or easier region - like the area adjacent to Broken Railroad - I forget the name) and the only thing that can found to eat is wolves. Now, because this region is harsh, you've barely managed to achieve a stable warmth state for a while but, if you don't eat, you're going to have a bad time. So, you go out in search of wolves *intentionally;* but when a wolf approaches you, you miss the *one* shot that would save your life before a struggle. Assume condition is below 50%, say between 30%-45%; in this scenario, all options presented to you during the struggle are meaningless because the wolf is about to straight-up kill you and possibly even before you can even fight back.

To balance out the the straight-up death problem, I'd propose that a QTE (quick time event) system to prevent the struggle in the first place be considered a possibility with the following conditions to balance itself as well:

• The window for succeeding the QTE shortens with each successive wolf pounce; one can only narrowly escape such a thing for so long in succession
  • With higher difficulties, this can either be shortened to scale -or- be made invisible to make the player guess the correct timing based on experience alone
  • A balanced CQC (close quarters combat) struggle skill that effects these encounters and can be improved by performing these interactions correctly and by reading a related book
  • This possibly being more difficult with Timberwolves

I think doing this would assist in alleviating excessive difficulty with wolf encounters, considering how common they can be, and would still give wolves a chance to do their jobs without nerfing them.

Edited by Neko-san
Corrected a typo
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm very interested in this QTE, so I'm just wondering now how you would initiate the QTE? Does it happen automatically, or do you start it via some other means? What tool/weapon do you use, and will the QTE not initiate if you decide to try and use your bow to take down the wolf instead (like TLD currently)?

This is a very interesting concept, sorry for the many questions.

I was initially thinking that the QTEs could be automatic but its difficulty might also be dependent on what tools are available, picking the one decided to be most useful by default. As for the bow being out, I'm not sure, perhaps?

I defer for Hinterland to mull over deeper implementations for it, though those were my thoughts; I don't expect this to be "hyper-realistic," so to speak, so long as this or a similar thing is done to balance them out in core functionality.

• Upvote 1