Avast antivirus has quarantined my TLD.exe

piddy3825

Not sure why this is happening, but AVAST anitvirus has determined that TLD.exe is a virus hazard and has subsequently quarantined the files pending deletion.
I had issues with getting the game to launch and discovered this to be the root cause.  

Have you guys heard anything about this?  

8 minutes ago, Sito said:

Just uninstall it and windows defender will assert itself. WD is quiet and does not report much but it is very effective for home and small biz use.

Really, I wasn't aware that windows defender was such a robust anti virus application.  Still I feel the need for additional protection from spyware, malware and the such.  oh, and yes, Windows 10
Am I just being overly cautious?  

Edited by piddy3825
spelling

Microsoft has quietly become a master defender against attacks given that their OS has so many holes in it. They have become somewhat security experts so you can pretty much rely on it. I have about 60 users in my company running home computers and no one has ever reported a virus to me using WD. Nor have I ever gotten one since Win 7 and I am on internet all the time looking up stuff.

Yes you are being overly cautious :)  Avast has nowhere near the experience or resources of Microsoft.

2 minutes ago, Sito said:

Microsoft has quietly become a master defender against attacks given that their OS has so many holes in it. They have become somewhat security experts so you can pretty much rely on it. I have about 60 users in my company running home computers and no one has ever reported a virus to me using WD. Nor have I ever gotten one since Win 7 and I am on internet all the time looking up stuff.

Yes you are being overly cautious :)  Avast has nowhere near the experience or resources of Microsoft.

well in that case, thank you very much for such a detailed and informative answer. 
I was led to believe quite the opposite by an aquaintence who really played up Avast.

thanks again

Other antivirus softwares to avoid: 

McAfee

Norton

MalwareBytes

If you want a better antivirus, look for a payed option, but do your research first. However you should only get a paid option if you go to a lot of sketchy websites or download a lot of files.

if you need help getting rid of avast, check out this guide: https://thinkmobiles.com/blog/how-to-uninstall-avast/ (please ignore the websites comments about the quality of avast, windows defender is just as good if not better)

2 hours ago, SpanishMoss said:

Other antivirus softwares to avoid: 

McAfee

Norton

MalwareBytes

If you want a better antivirus, look for a payed option, but do your research first. However you should only get a paid option if you go to a lot of sketchy websites or download a lot of files.

if you need help getting rid of avast, check out this guide: https://thinkmobiles.com/blog/how-to-uninstall-avast/ (please ignore the websites comments about the quality of avast, windows defender is just as good if not better)

oh shit, I am using the pay for version!  Dammit, now I'm really pissed at my friend for playing them up so much.  He musta gotten a referral fee...

Well, I guess I will chalk this up as an learning experience...  
thanks for the heads up!

The first thing I do when someone calls me because of any laptop/PC problem is deinstalling the antivir software if they are using any, no matter if paid or free. It was necessary before Windows 10 no doubt but defender on windows 10/11 is one of the strongest defense against virus and malware. Btw the same goes for any firewall software, the windows firewall is pretty strong and easily configured.

I am no fan of micro$oft by any means but when it comes to securing their system they finally did their job, took them only 30 years :D

But still question every link that was send to you and don't click mindlessly on it - phishing attacks are still possible no matter what you use ;)

15 hours ago, ChillPlayer said:

The first thing I do when someone calls me because of any laptop/PC problem is deinstalling the antivir software if they are using any, no matter if paid or free. It was necessary before Windows 10 no doubt but defender on windows 10/11 is one of the strongest defense against virus and malware. Btw the same goes for any firewall software, the windows firewall is pretty strong and easily configured.

I am no fan of micro$oft by any means but when it comes to securing their system they finally did their job, took them only 30 years :D

But still question every link that was send to you and don't click mindlessly on it - phishing attacks are still possible no matter what you use ;)

thank you for your reply.  I had been using the free version and wasn't experiencing any problems.  decided to go with the upgrade and now all kinds of friggin issues are popping up.  already have uninstalled so letting Windows defender do it's thing.  on a side note, I am very wary of phishing so thankfully I dont go mindlessly clicking
on an unsolicited email messages, but I have seen a few that are so well crafted as to look legit, so thank you for the reminder that there are some very bad people out there who would wish to do us all harm in one way or another.