Missed loot in The Long Dark - Compilation of hidden or missed loot in 2021

Zaknafein

Guest jeffpeng

I play this game so long now that I believe I've seen every piece of loot. Still I miss a metric wolfton of loot on every run 🤣

Guest jeffpeng
On 1/7/2022 at 2:41 PM, Leeanda said:

Happy new year to you! 

No matter how easy or hard the level you'll always miss something somewhere. That's part of the fun but it's also the difference between life and death  too! Especially on interloper. 

I remember that when I had my short foray into Youtube on my first run I missed the ski jacket in the ice cave in HRV. It was so obvious watching it, but I really didn't see it. It's like .... yeah, tunnelvision. Much like watching sports and playing sports is just not the same thing xD

12 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

I remember that when I had my short foray into Youtube on my first run I missed the ski jacket in the ice cave in HRV. It was so obvious watching it, but I really didn't see it. It's like .... yeah, tunnelvision. Much like watching sports and playing sports is just not the same thing xD

Its so easy to do isn't it!?  I use a methodical  approach to searching ,yet I always miss something. Like the bear coat in ash canyon. Or a mag lens have hidden.  

I didn't even notice the ice hockey sticks on the trailer wall in bleak until my last run!and I've been playing for over two years! Lol🙂

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Jolan said:

there's a bear coat in ash canyon!? 

Sometimes one spawns there.  Not sure of the exact location but somewhere near wolf overlook I think. If I have that wrong anyone please correct me. I can never remember places names and I've only found it once ,quite a long time ago!

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Jolan said:

there's a bear coat in ash canyon!? 

That damned bear coat!   A couple of days ago I picked that up. As it's heavy to carry I thought I'd harvest it and get a 1kg bearskin.  Instead of harvesting that I carelessly harvested my wolfskin coat and was left without an outer coat.  I had just gone out to AC andf had no caches with wolfskins.  It took a long time to kill four wolves and cure the skins and relpace the wolfskin coat.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, peteloud said:

That damned bear coat!   A couple of days ago I picked that up. As it's heavy to carry I thought I'd harvest it and get a 1kg bearskin.  Instead of harvesting that I carelessly harvested my wolfskin coat and was left without an outer coat.  I had just gone out to AC andf had no caches with wolfskins.  It took a long time to kill four wolves and cure the skins and relpace the wolfskin coat.

Daft question but why didn't you wear the bear coat?

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Daft question but why didn't you wear the bear coat?

It was in poor condition and very heavy. 

It was very silly of me not to realise my mistake sooner.  I assumed that I was wearing a good wolf coat and carrying a bear skin.  In fact, I was carrying a 5 kg rubbished bear coat and not wearing any outer coat. In that condition, and with that extra load, I had to descend to the mine and climb back up again then get to the Foreman's Retreat in bad weather.  I could hardly believe how incompetent I was.

Edited by peteloud
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

I'm not disputing the weight but isn't it usually about 50% condition when you find it?

I can't remember what the condition was.

I do not normally wear a bearskin coat.  I much prefer the wolfskin coat.  So I was happy to harvest it and have  the bearskin which I use for a bedroll when in cold areas. 

The reason I prefer the wolf coat is that it is easy to keep in good condition.  I always have lots of cured wolf pelts scattered all over the place so I am able to repair the wolf coat when it gets to 85% condition.  Whereas a bearskin coat is much more difficult to keep in good condition due to the fewer bears and the time it takes for a bear skin to cure.  When I used bearskin coats I would spend much of my time wearing a 5 kg coat that was in not so good condition and was less warm then a wolf coat.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, peteloud said:

I can't remember what the condition was.

I do not normally wear a bearskin coat.  I much prefer the wolfskin coat.  So I was happy to harvest it and have  the bearskin which I use for a bedroll when in cold areas. 

The reason I prefer the wolf coat is that it is easy to keep in good condition.  I always have lots of cured wolf pelts scattered all over the place so I am able to repair the wolf coat when it gets to 85% condition.  Whereas a bearskin coat is much more difficult to keep in good condition due to the fewer bears and the time it takes for a bear skin to cure.  When I used bearskin coats I would spend much of my time wearing a 5 kg coat that was in not so good condition and was less warm then a wolf coat.

Don't blame you, it is a bit more trouble than it's worth . I always go with the wolf coat myself it does the job well.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Don't blame you, it is a bit more trouble than it's worth . I always go with the wolf coat myself it does the job well.

In interloper, I always wear two bearskin coats when foraging near my base.  They're heavy, but the temps are so extreme that you need them so you don't take too much of a condition hit.  I think there's a place somewhere for most of the equipment in the game.  Except for that flashlight, maybe.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

In interloper, I always wear two bearskin coats when foraging near my base.  They're heavy, but the temps are so extreme that you need them so you don't take too much of a condition hit.  I think there's a place somewhere for most of the equipment in the game.  Except for that flashlight, maybe.

They're not necessary on pilgrim but the wolf coat seems to be the right weight for me and the set conditions.

I have so many bear skins compared to wolf so I just use them for bear roll. Saved my hide a few times in BlackRock and keepers pass north!

Or the spray paint or the recycled cans or the cat tails, all pretty useless on pilgrim! On most actually now I think about it!🙂

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

I think there's a place somewhere for most of the equipment in the game.  Except for that flashlight, maybe.

There are several of the resources that I do not use, or have used once or twice and never again. (I usually play straight Stalker or Voyager games.)

The flashlight is one of them.  I've never used a spray can, or that little, but heavy, health drink. I have not needed an emergency snow shelter since I tried it in my early TLD days. I usually carry one accelerant but can't remember when I last used one.  I don't bother with the flare gun.  Until a few days ago I had forgotten about decoy meat for wolves.  I haven't used that for years.

There are a few others but I can't remember them at the moment. 

Edited by peteloud
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, peteloud said:

I've never used a spray can

I use them occasionally in a cave to remember the path I took, or out on the ice in coastal highway when I'm ice fishing.  If a blizzard comes up, I can just look at the arrow I painted on the ice to see which way to go to safety.  That was more important when I didn't know the maps as well.  The paint can be used to divine your position on the map, as well.

• Upvote 1

The only times I've used the spray paint is to  mark the prepper cache or if I harvest a bear in bad weather so I don't forget where it is later.  Can never remember all these things after so many new runs!   The torch was once  ages ago and I wondered why it stopped working, didn't know at the time it only worked during the aurora lol🙂 never used it since.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, crishh said:

I've been playing this game for so long that I think I've seen every item of treasure. Of course, they aren't required for the pilgrim, but the wolf coat seemed to be the ideal weight for me and the set condition.

Even though you're right that the wolf coat isn't needed on pilgrim I find it needs a lot less repairing than the standard coats. And it has become more necessary since BlackRock was included.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...