Where do Screenshots Go?

Pencil

I realized that pressing f10 will create a screenshot without the HUD, so I've started using that now. However, I don't know where the pictures end up. I can't find a destination file noted anywhere in the game. 

I play on pc through the Microsoft store (Xbox but on a computer). I assume it creates a new folder somewhere on my computer, but I can't find that folder. So where are they?  

I play it the same as you, via the microsoft store, and I'm afraid to say that I'm 99% sure you can't do F10 screenshots on it. There was a discussion on it a while back on the share your screenshots thread as other players kindly attempted to help with this issue, but to no avail. The screenshots simply don't show up anywhere.

It is aggravating but I've resorted to just taking screenshots of the actual through the printscreen option, instead. Unfortunately they are lower quality and include the HUD, but it's better than nothing.

Of course, I could be wrong, and hopefully I am, but I've had this game for probably nearly a year now and have never figured out where they go. 

On 12/10/2021 at 1:08 PM, Pencil said:

I realized that pressing f10 will create a screenshot without the HUD, so I've started using that now. However, I don't know where the pictures end up. I can't find a destination file noted anywhere in the game. 

I play on pc through the Microsoft store (Xbox but on a computer). I assume it creates a new folder somewhere on my computer, but I can't find that folder. So where are they?  

On 12/12/2021 at 12:35 AM, Catlover said:

I play it the same as you, via the microsoft store, and I'm afraid to say that I'm 99% sure you can't do F10 screenshots on it. There was a discussion on it a while back on the share your screenshots thread as other players kindly attempted to help with this issue, but to no avail. The screenshots simply don't show up anywhere.

It is aggravating but I've resorted to just taking screenshots of the actual through the printscreen option, instead. Unfortunately they are lower quality and include the HUD, but it's better than nothing.

Of course, I could be wrong, and hopefully I am, but I've had this game for probably nearly a year now and have never figured out where they go. 

I'm on PC and mine go straight on my desk top.  I don't recall if that had to enabled or not cause its been that way for a long while for me now.

Have you checked the key bindings menu in the Options menu of the game? Since all the keys are listed there you may find the destination folder there as well? 
You guys on Steam?  There may be some help there as well for you to check out.

6 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

I'm on PC and mine go straight on my desk top.  I don't recall if that had to enabled or not cause its been that way for a long while for me now.

Have you checked the key bindings menu in the Options menu of the game? Since all the keys are listed there you may find the destination folder there as well? 
You guys on Steam?  There may be some help there as well for you to check out.

No, I play from GamePass, but on the PC, and I'm assuming the OP does to.

I'm thinking that maybe screenshots simply don't work for people who play it on that platform.

I've checked the key bindings and I know how to take screenshots, though it doesn't say where they should end up. And when I take them it's just like they disappear. I thought it was just me,  and my laptop being weird, but since the OP is having this problem too, it's probably due to GamePass or microsoft store, or something.

On steam they seem to work fine, which is likely why you, and most other players, have had no problems. It's very strange, but if it annoyed me too much I could always just buy the game again but on steam.

Even though nothing seems to work, I do appreciate your help, and I'm hoping whatever weird thing is going on with screenshots will get sorted someday

9 hours ago, Catlover said:

Even though nothing seems to work, I do appreciate your help, and I'm hoping whatever weird thing is going on with screenshots will get sorted someday

Well good luck.  It's maddening when something so simple doesnt work.  what about just using the debug screen shot key?  sure it will have some location data on it, but at least it would be a decent resolution screenshot?  just a thought

1 hour ago, piddy3825 said:

Well good luck.  It's maddening when something so simple doesnt work.  what about just using the debug screen shot key?  sure it will have some location data on it, but at least it would be a decent resolution screenshot?  just a thought

I actually hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the idea! Hopefully that will work

I bought the game on an actual Xbox, then downloaded it onto my computer using the same Microsoft account, so the game was purchase through Microsoft, not Steam. I tried all of the screenshots and I cannot find the destination file for any of them (if there is such a thing). Thanks for the help though.

I take screen shots using Xbox Game bar, which I think is already on Microsoft computers. It works perfectly fine for me, but I have to turn off the HUD before taking a screenshot. 

9 minutes ago, Pencil said:

I take screen shots using Xbox Game bar, which I think is already on Microsoft computers. It works perfectly fine for me, but I have to turn off the HUD before taking a screenshot. 

hmmm, yeah that HUD can be pesky if you are looking for that pristine screenshot, but I find that seeing the HUD sometimes can really help capture the moment and express the feeling you had at that point in time.   Cold, tired and hungry, but still enjoying a beautiful sunset or sunrise really makes for a poignant pic sometimes. 
Don't let that deter you from sharing your screenshots!  

3 hours ago, Catlover said:

You can turn off the HUD? I never knew there was a key for that, I'll have to go look through the key bindings later

Not a key, it's a setting. You go to options, display, and turn the HUD to off or contextual. 

• Upvote 1