IRL - Aurora australis

Levelgrinder

Wow, that was pretty cool, indeed!  
Thanks for sharing.  

Interesting to see an aurora event over a tropical area and according to the news article supposed to get even more
intense over the next two years due to increasing solar flares and activity.  Lets hope the effects aren't as severe as
the reporter made them out to be.  eh?

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

Interesting to see an aurora event over a tropical area

Thanks, but these auroras were seen mostly over the island of Tasmania, which is hardly a "tropical area". Its mostly a cold and wet place during most of the year, and is basically the last stop before Antarctica. Its more like Canada than anywhere "tropical".

2 minutes ago, Levelgrinder said:

Thanks, but these auroras were seen mostly over the island of Tasmania, which is hardly a "tropical area". Its mostly a cold and wet place during most of the year, and is basically the last stop before Antarctica. Its more like Canada than anywhere "tropical".

well thanks for the geography lesson.  Did not know that Tasmania was in a temperate climate with 4 distinct seasons and in the southern region as I was under the impression that it was in the northern regions in a more tropical zone.  Goes to show you that I shouldn't believe everything that Bill Nye the Science guy says...

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Beautiful shots. The ones in TLD always seemed more fantastically multi colored than the ones in real life, from my own experience of seeing aurora in my own country for countless times, but these ones are really vivid

Edited by Mistral
  • Like 1