Torch + Campfire = Freeze [Switch]

Mimi

As the title suggests, I'm having issues with torches and campfires. I'm playing on pilgrim, trying to train my firestarting skill up a little. To conserve my fire sources, I'm starting an initial fire with a magnifying glass where I can, matches when I can't. Then, I'm starting short lived fires with a lit torch, tinder, and sticks. I've had issues with this in front of the milton house, inside it, and even inside the church with the pre-made campfire.

I'll be lighting fires and suddenly the game will freeze. Sounds will continue playing, and sometimes, it will unlock. If I quickly put away or throw the torch at this time, I can salvage control, but the second lock is permanent. If I attempt to draw a torch at all after this, it freezes again, even if all fires nearby are out. This happens whether I use multiple campfires or just one. 

Possibly related, is that after I put out a torch sometimes, my character will suddenly forcefully turn towards the nearest campfire, lit or not, and attempt to light the torch from it, with no inputs being accepted. It will even light the torch if the campfire is already completely out.

This behaviour was not present before the most recent update. Thanks for looking into it!

Not on the switch, but maybe related, in episode 4 when i started my first fire. As i was going toward the required objective(avoiding spoilers), i came to be surrounded by three wolves, so i quickly started a fire before they reached me. When the fire lit, my frames went do to 20 or so(near guess) and everytime i would face the fire my frames would drop. Even when near the fire it felt like the frames dropped below 30 or so. After sleeping for almost an entire day in a cave whilst a different and further away fire from the one that caused frame drop, which burned out, the frames were stable. 

It was nearing night when i lit the first fire.

On the Xbox One S

• 3 weeks later...

I have the exact same issue while playing on PC. I'm in the Ravine cave, by the ML exit, with 6 fire pits trying to train my fire skills. It works first 4-5 times or so but after that the game almost always freezes. If I let it stay like that, it unfreezes about 3-4 minutes later but this only works for 1 maybe 2 times. That 3rd freeze and I have to close the game from task manager.

On 10/9/2021 at 3:04 PM, Mimi said:

As the title suggests, I'm having issues with torches and campfires. I'm playing on pilgrim, trying to train my firestarting skill up a little. To conserve my fire sources, I'm starting an initial fire with a magnifying glass where I can, matches when I can't. Then, I'm starting short lived fires with a lit torch, tinder, and sticks. I've had issues with this in front of the milton house, inside it, and even inside the church with the pre-made campfire.

I'll be lighting fires and suddenly the game will freeze. Sounds will continue playing, and sometimes, it will unlock. If I quickly put away or throw the torch at this time, I can salvage control, but the second lock is permanent. If I attempt to draw a torch at all after this, it freezes again, even if all fires nearby are out. This happens whether I use multiple campfires or just one. 

Possibly related, is that after I put out a torch sometimes, my character will suddenly forcefully turn towards the nearest campfire, lit or not, and attempt to light the torch from it, with no inputs being accepted. It will even light the torch if the campfire is already completely out.

This behaviour was not present before the most recent update. Thanks for looking into it!

Are you able to file a report via our support portal? It would be helpful to have a few supplementary pics if possible. Thanks for your patience! https://hinterlandgames.zendesk.com/hc/en-us 

On 10/26/2021 at 6:03 PM, Admin said:

Are you able to file a report via our support portal? It would be helpful to have a few supplementary pics if possible. Thanks for your patience! https://hinterlandgames.zendesk.com/hc/en-us 

Not the person you asked but I managed to get the freezing on video a couple of times. Hope this helps and thanks for all the work!

Edit: In 7:24 video the error happens around 6:55, the game hard crashes at the end. In the 6:11 video it starts happening around 3:23 and keeps going intermittently until the end.

Edited by lordbutternoodles

On 10/27/2021 at 9:50 PM, lordbutternoodles said:

Not the person you asked but I managed to get the freezing on video a couple of times. Hope this helps and thanks for all the work!

Edit: In 7:24 video the error happens around 6:55, the game hard crashes at the end. In the 6:11 video it starts happening around 3:23 and keeps going intermittently until the end.

Thanks for sharing! This is very helpful. 

• 3 weeks later...

Same here. Went down from ultra to lowest setting. Still the same. I cant even make 4 fires. No problem so far on a 12 years old machine. Only the fire thing is disturbing the powerleveling. I think i have to make more singular fires just every day with the lens. A fire here and there. Just for some bottles of water. Just do some fires on sunny days. I am at level 4 half way to level 5 firemaking. Still around 50 books to burn down. Because only now to the way to lvl 5 they are still worth to have. At 5 i stick to sticks. But there should be no books left. I horded EVERY SINGLE BOOK JUST TO BE BURNED. I think i have to go to the doctor. Or the inquisitor. I dont know.

Not so ProFix: Make a campfire while you are gathering plants, so wolves cannot attack you from behind (lol). Or make you a fire just when you are eating something IRL (is really relaxing). Or make a fire just to look if there is a high % torch in it. Or make a fire when you got a little bit wet. Or just dont cook the dam whole bear at once.