"Natural" Challenge

hozz1235

I've decided to try a different twist on a challenge.  The idea is to limit consumption & usage to "craftable/natural" items.  This means:  

• Using only crafted tools (exceptions below)
  • Wearing only crafted clothes
  • Eating only natural foods (granola bars don't count!).  This means: fish and meat. 
  • Of course, Reishi, etc. is needed.
  • Fuel is limited to cedar, fir, sticks & coal
  • Reclaimed wood may be used to make snares

Some exceptions would be:

•     Rifle (optional) - just until you kill enough bears/wolves to craft a coat, then toss it!
  •     Hacksaw (needed for breaking down metal) 
  •     Heavy Hammer (needed for crafting tools, etc.)
  •     Cooking Pots (for water)
  •     Prybar (no alternative)
  •     Bedroll (until you can make a bearskin, then toss 'em!)
  •     All fire-starters since we don't have flint & Steel in game (Fire Addon Mod a viable alternative)
  •     Lamp Oil - preferrably obtained from fish
  •     Whetstone - similar to sharpening rocks we could use in the wild

Other Custom settings will be moderate (IMO).  Make the settings harder if you want.  Here is my custom code:  +3S0-V4Ww-KFCC-2Kt5-xEIJ.  
Keep in mind, that code does not allow for firearms.  After doing a preliminary playthrough, I turned rifles back on for the first exception above.

I'm proposing a "grace period" to give us the opportunity to gather some essential materials for our challenge.  I'm going to start off with 10 days and see how that turns out.

If you don't make it by day 10, just keep going and see how soon you can become "Natural"!  Feel free to post your progress, challenges and stories!

Journal: 
By the end of day 10, I had just visited Spence's forge to make some necessary tools (arrow-heads, knife and hatchet).  I then had to strip off all my clothes and beeline to the Camp Office so I could begin making clothes.  By day 18 I had:  Rabbitskin gloves, wolfskin coat, deerskin pants & boots.  Day 20:  Bearskin bedroll so stored all others. 23 days: Rabbitskin hat and 2nd wolfskin coat.  Running low on meat - time to go hunting.
I'm well on my way now.  I'm going to see how things go with no socks, shirts, or underwear.  I'll keep you posted.

Edited by hozz1235

I'm game. I have some thoughts/questions...

What do you think about exchanging cloth for a shelter for the bedroll? (So, NO bedroll use until bearskin, but you can salvage cloth to make snow shelters.)

Allow use of recycled cans as long as you didn't open them?

How about setting a goal of as FEW matches/firestarters as possible, with the ideal being an "eternal fire" that you have to "torch run" from location to location on nice days?

More thoughts...

I named mine "Natural Medium" and changed pretty much *everything* that could be "Medium" to that. 

Found a firestriker almost immediately, so I'm gonna treat that like flint & steel and try to use no matches.

Is there a list of all of the natural "beds" in the game? 😄 

UPDATED EXECPTION LIST

Some exceptions would be (feel free to NOT use these!):

•     Rifle (optional) - just until you kill enough bears/wolves to craft a coat, then toss it!
  •     Hacksaw (needed for breaking down metal) 
  •     Heavy Hammer (needed for crafting tools, etc.)
  •     Cooking Pots & cans (for water)
  •     Prybar (no alternative)
  •     Bedroll (until you can make a bearskin, then toss 'em!)
  •     You may sleep in beds
  •     All fire-starters since we don't have flint & Steel in game (Fire Addon Mod a viable alternative)
  •     Lamp Oil - preferrably obtained from fish
  •     Whetstone - similar to sharpening rocks we could use in the wild

1 hour ago, hozz1235 said:

How's your run going, @straffin?

Froze to death, again, a few times. Will try again this weekend. I'm making it particularly difficult for myself when it comes to avoiding matches and indoor spaces, but I like this being my new "Interloper", with scarcity and ingenuity being the challenge instead of unrealistic cold and animal aggression. I'm starting out my runs in Mystery Lake where there's usually a fire striker. I also upped the stick respawn rate since I think that's unrealistically low. We'll see how far I get next time...

On 10/1/2021 at 5:49 PM, hozz1235 said:

Not allowing indoor spaces is especially harsh!

Yes...yes it is. 🙂 I've been staying in a snow shelter near the cave on the Lake Vista hilltop, using any cloth found for that and possibly for torches. 

I've been building a back-story for this mode of play in my head...I'll have to write it down, maybe along with a custom game code. What would be *perfect* would be if you could specify a starting build so that your survivor would have at least a few items (mainly a fire striker) to support the story and give a decent chance of survival.

On 10/2/2021 at 5:01 PM, straffin said:

What would be *perfect* would be if you could specify a starting build so that your survivor would have at least a few items (mainly a fire striker) to support the story and give a decent chance of survival.

Could always use the Save Game Editor to accomplish that.