Killing the Old Bear... A Different Way

Pencil

So, I was messing around with the Old Bear in Forlorn Muskeg. I had the mission of retrieving the radio parts from each of the 3 towers. I was told that at each tower, you faced the Old Bear. 

I came to the first tower (South East, I believe) and grabbed the radio parts. The Old Bear didn't show up immediately, so I decided to hop down the cliff and completely avoid him altogether. It worked. 

Second tower (North), he spawned right away, so I could not avoid him. I fought him twice with the spear, grabbed the radio parts, and jumped down the cliff again before he could reach me. 

Third tower (South West I think. The south one closer to Broken Railroad),  he spawned right away again. I kept my distance and shot him with the rifle. He charged, so I fought him with the spear. I grabbed the radio parts and once again, jumped down the cliff, but stopped at a ledge where I could still see the bear above me. He was looking down at me but could not reach me. I shot him about 5, 6, maybe 7 times with the rifle, and then shot him with the flare gun. I stood there for about 5 minutes until I heard him die... I went back of there and sure enough, there was his carcass laying right there. I collected an ear and harvested his hide XD. 

Of course, he still dragged me into his cave when I tried to leave Forlorn Muskeg, but I thought it was funny that I was able to kill him before the cave. I'm assuming that this is a bug? 

• Upvote 3

On 8/29/2021 at 4:22 PM, Pencil said:

So, I was messing around with the Old Bear in Forlorn Muskeg. I had the mission of retrieving the radio parts from each of the 3 towers. I was told that at each tower, you faced the Old Bear. 

I came to the first tower (South East, I believe) and grabbed the radio parts. The Old Bear didn't show up immediately, so I decided to hop down the cliff and completely avoid him altogether. It worked. 

Second tower (North), he spawned right away, so I could not avoid him. I fought him twice with the spear, grabbed the radio parts, and jumped down the cliff again before he could reach me. 

Third tower (South West I think. The south one closer to Broken Railroad),  he spawned right away again. I kept my distance and shot him with the rifle. He charged, so I fought him with the spear. I grabbed the radio parts and once again, jumped down the cliff, but stopped at a ledge where I could still see the bear above me. He was looking down at me but could not reach me. I shot him about 5, 6, maybe 7 times with the rifle, and then shot him with the flare gun. I stood there for about 5 minutes until I heard him die... I went back of there and sure enough, there was his carcass laying right there. I collected an ear and harvested his hide XD. 

Of course, he still dragged me into his cave when I tried to leave Forlorn Muskeg, but I thought it was funny that I was able to kill him before the cave. I'm assuming that this is a bug? 

I started at the southeast tower, the bear never shows up at this tower  (if you started here). The bear only attacks at the southwest tower, north tower, and at the tunnel entrance to Muskeg. To make struggles with the bear easier, set the struggle option to "press and hold", in the game options.

Just wanted to add this as well; I wanted to know if the Old Bear would run over the fire if I placed one in between him and me. My last try, he simply ran around. This time, I got different results lol. 

I was surprised that it allowed me to throw the flare; I literally could not do anything else (except for pressing esc, of course). Eventually, the screen simply went black and teleported me to the cave. 

Edited by Pencil