Dried meat & why it makes sense.

Sus-wolf

I have seen many people suggest the option to dry meat and they often get shut down because TLD is about survival not thriving or that drying meat takes too long.

however when you start survival mode it does mention trying to survive as long as possible. Long term survival means long term options like smoke drying meat.

I totally understand if its not something the devs want or can do but it would totally fit into the goal of the game. 

• Upvote 1

lol, you wouldn't be the first person to suggest dried meat or fish as a preservation tool for long term survival.  I've posted the same request here on the wishlist myself on more than one occasion.  But in terms of long term food storage, they game already allows for cooked/raw meat to be stored outside, either in a container or not and it has incredible shelf life so to speak.  You can even still cook "ruined" meat at bring it back up to 50% and store it outside for an additional long time before it goes bad.  Even then you still eat it and sometimes you might even avoid food poisoning which of course is a bonus if you do!   
although I would love to see some new content introduced, inspired by the community wish lists, I'd rather have them working on Episodes 4 & 5, wouldn't you agree?

12 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

lol, you wouldn't be the first person to suggest dried meat or fish as a preservation tool for long term survival.  I've posted the same request here on the wishlist myself on more than one occasion.  But in terms of long term food storage, they game already allows for cooked/raw meat to be stored outside, either in a container or not and it has incredible shelf life so to speak.  You can even still cook "ruined" meat at bring it back up to 50% and store it outside for an additional long time before it goes bad.  Even then you still eat it and sometimes you might even avoid food poisoning which of course is a bonus if you do!   
although I would love to see some new content introduced, inspired by the community wish lists, I'd rather have them working on Episodes 4 & 5, wouldn't you agree?

I agree. I don’t think it will be added or that it even should be added. Much more important things to work on in the game.

I just thought the arguments against it were quite odd. Considering that #1 survival food storage is smoked and dried meat. 
also it would be a lot lighter to carry, considering that the water is removed. I think that if Hinterland went to work on a new Survival game they should include drying meat as an option. I think it would require a much more complicated game. You would need a teepee or some other form of long slow cooking that would require building something.

2 hours ago, Sus-wolf said:

I agree. I don’t think it will be added or that it even should be added. Much more important things to work on in the game.

I just thought the arguments against it were quite odd. Considering that #1 survival food storage is smoked and dried meat. 
also it would be a lot lighter to carry, considering that the water is removed. I think that if Hinterland went to work on a new Survival game they should include drying meat as an option. I think it would require a much more complicated game. You would need a teepee or some other form of long slow cooking that would require building something.

Yes, perhaps if there is going to be a TLD II then maybe it might have more survival mechanics in place than the current version.  I always envisioned using one of the fishing huts with a door on it to act as sort of a walk in smoker.  All the resources are already present in game so creating something new from scratch wouldn't be necessary.  Imagine you string "line", made from cured gut, across the inside of the of the shack.  There you drape the meat over the line and make a long burning fire in the potbelly stove.  On the stove you put a pot and in the pot your place your smoking materials.  Lets just say that birch bark in this case is used to smoke the meat for arguments sake since that would not require the Devs to have to create another item in game which of course is where most of their work would come from.   
the process would take 3 or more days and during that time the player would have to keep the fire burning and regularly stock up the cooking pot with bark in order to keep producing enough smoke to cure the meats.  The player wouldn't be able to stay inside the shack, so other accommodations would have to be made and of course the delicious scent of curing smoked meat would draw all the predators in the area to the shacks location presenting the player with additional challenges in order to survive.  In terms of additional difficulty I'd propose limiting the shack capacity to approx. 10 kilos, which of course would make preserving a moose or bear a very long term prospect as it would probably take weeks in game time to accomplish that!  

On 8/2/2021 at 10:49 AM, piddy3825 said:

Yes, perhaps if there is going to be a TLD II then maybe it might have more survival mechanics in place than the current version.  I always envisioned using one of the fishing huts with a door on it to act as sort of a walk in smoker.  All the resources are already present in game so creating something new from scratch wouldn't be necessary.  Imagine you string "line", made from cured gut, across the inside of the of the shack.  There you drape the meat over the line and make a long burning fire in the potbelly stove.  On the stove you put a pot and in the pot your place your smoking materials.  Lets just say that birch bark in this case is used to smoke the meat for arguments sake since that would not require the Devs to have to create another item in game which of course is where most of their work would come from.   
the process would take 3 or more days and during that time the player would have to keep the fire burning and regularly stock up the cooking pot with bark in order to keep producing enough smoke to cure the meats.  The player wouldn't be able to stay inside the shack, so other accommodations would have to be made and of course the delicious scent of curing smoked meat would draw all the predators in the area to the shacks location presenting the player with additional challenges in order to survive.  In terms of additional difficulty I'd propose limiting the shack capacity to approx. 10 kilos, which of course would make preserving a moose or bear a very long term prospect as it would probably take weeks in game time to accomplish that!  

I agree. A lot of the resources are already there. I think in a world where games were easier yo make. It would be cool to see both the option to use existing structures and make new ones.

for example building shelters and a smoker in ash canyon or TWM where buildings are less frequent. 

some great examples of bushcraft smokers are shown on “Alone” a survival tv series. Along with long term survival shelter  far superior to the TLD stick and fabric shelters.

Unrelated, I’m wondering when the new ep will release. It was supposed to release by now according to the last dev update. Maybe I missed something though.

@Sus-wolf

I'm right there with on crafting, eh?  
Love watching alone and the creative bushcraft ways they improvise to "survive."  Considering that we have access to a forage, workshops and workbenches and high quality tools, I'd love to be able to Build my own cabin in TLD!  

Maybe someday!

• Like 1