How Astrid broke free to explore the world in Ep3! (no spoilers)

Gun Tech.

This is a clip from a story mode adventure I had over the last few weeks - I was amazed to find that my hunches were correct and this was possible just by goating(!)

If you want to watch the episode this clip is taken from, there's a link in YT comments.

So that's what you do when you have explored the map to 98% and attained every achievement possible! 👏👍

I always thought transitioning from the control room to the turbine room should be  possible  and that's why the character can't jump or walk over anything that is 4 inches tall, otherwise we could just hop up on the console and enter the turbine area or just jump thru the broken window to leave.  And now you've proven what we all suspected.  Nicely done!

• Like 1

That's nuts! 😂 I cannot believe you figured it out! Now Astrid can go help Will before episode 4 or 5 comes out!

Another question, what was Astrid doing in the dam? Wasn't ep3 taking place in PV? Did you use winding river to get here? I thought hinterland blocked off other transition zones with "rockslides." Sorry, didn't watch whole stream from the link and mute was on.

• Like 1

SPOILER WARNING

13 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

So that's what you do when you have explored the map to 98% and attained every achievement possible! 👏👍

I always thought transitioning from the control room to the turbine room should be  possible  and that's why the character can't jump or walk over anything that is 4 inches tall, otherwise we could just hop up on the console and enter the turbine area or just jump thru the broken window to leave.  And now you've proven what we all suspected.  Nicely done!

You're kinda right in that it was something to do while waiting for the next update, but I returned to this spot because even though I got an Aurora, the switch was locked inside, so the elevator wouldn't work. "If I could only get in there..." and so I tried indoor goating which I haven't done much of :D 

3 hours ago, Stinky socks said:

That's nuts! 😂 I cannot believe you figured it out! Now Astrid can go help Will before episode 4 or 5 comes out!

Another question, what was Astrid doing in the dam? Wasn't ep3 taking place in PV? Did you use winding river to get here? I thought hinterland blocked off other transition zones with "rockslides." Sorry, didn't watch whole stream from the link and mute was on.

Correct, you have to stop before getting the mission to go to the ending. Getting into Winding River was done over a month ago, and this spot in the Dam stopped me. To get into Winding River I remembered goating in Survival a few months before, where I had found out how to get out of bounds in all regions, and there are a few spots in Pleasant Valley. By doing that and finding the right path to behind the blocked transition, I could get there. This can be done with all other regions too, provided you have worked out a similar path for each blocked transition. So Astrid could get into all regions (TWM/AC not tried, but should be possible).

What's in the video can be done on Survival too, so that's why I only clipped this portion out, but I have to be careful about spoilers here.

I'm not sure I got any, or at least not juicy ones, but some interesting information and plenty of weird moments. :) I haven't posted the weirdest stuff yet. If I post here or on Steam it will be marked as spoilers, and if I have to talk about them I will try to mark them, but this (excellent) forum doesn't seem to have a spoiler function for text. So it's hard to know what to do.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

On 7/16/2021 at 9:33 PM, Leeanda said:

I'm curious why you haven't encountered any sudden death areas when there are some in places your supposed to go?

I have. There are killwalls in the world, both in story mode and survival. MT has by far the most, and story mode version of MT even more :P

A few regions don't have killwalls (flat or small regions without ropes, like connector regions and FM?), but all regions have invisible walls (just blocking, not instakill).

You can still get out of bounds in all regions though, and most regions have multiple spots where you can.

On 7/20/2021 at 3:23 PM, Leeanda said:

That explains a lot but with your penchant for wandering how come you haven't accidentally found one?😁

In some sense, you always find them accidentally. 😆 Even if you expect them, they're very sudden and you don't know exactly where they are. Then you work out a way around them (e.g. ML, get on top of the Dam) but you're never 100% sure... until you either succeed or they did a thorough job, forcing you to find another spot (e.g. MT plane crash).

Turns out all regions have killwall-free spots to get out of bounds, and I think I found almost all of the killwalls near out of bounds spots in the process. I would say all killwalls are in places where you could expect them, so it's hard to find one accidentally. The ones I can think of are interregional, e.g. MT plane crash, Ravine, below rope stones, below bridges.

On 7/23/2021 at 3:21 PM, Leeanda said:

In other words you got lucky!☺ 

I also presume that you have been playing a long time and have a very good knowledge of the maps?

It's an interesting story of one thing leads to another, I think. I learned all the maps well 2.5 years ago, but for Interloper. 1000 days takes a long time, and I played other games and took breaks.

One of the breaks was the Trepid Explorer series a while back. From getting out of bounds in PV, I remembered seeing the back of the WR cave, and this is the first obstacle to get out of PV in story mode. I played Ep3 and figured out a way to get in, but the Dam was the end of the line. I stayed until an Aurora to see if the elevator worked, but nothing would let her out.

I gave up and played some TLD doing experiments and survival, and then used the same method for getting out of PV in Ep3 to get Will to all regions in Ep2. I played some Arid (and after finishing it got out of bounds in it too :D) and then went back to TLD. I spent 2 hours messing around in the Dam to see if Astrid could goat out or fall through the ground into ML. She could, and this was the second obstacle to overcome, to unlock the rest of the regions for Astrid, too.

This shortcut could have been discovered by anyone, and without any map knowledge of course. You could also bring a hacksaw, and then you'd only have to know to sprint onto the ladder. But the shortcut is completely useless unless you can already get out of PV in Ep3 (and want to). I had to get past this obstacle, and I don't think I would have bothered to work it out if I didn't.

On 7/24/2021 at 6:10 PM, Leeanda said:

Sounds like a lot of work for not much reward except curiosity being satisfied! I take it then that the out of bounds only works properly in story mode?

Well, Ep3 ended with Astrid seeing interesting things in CH, but to get her in there "the other way" :) required getting past those two obstacles.

She also found her suitcase, so that she won't have to wait for Will to give it to her. ;);) 

Anyway, all of the methods to overcome the obstacles work in Survival mode, and some information was found about how the maps are different from survival in story mode - even in the same episode!