Shovel=Bivouac

milan

From actual experience, digging into the ground with a shovel when everything is frozen is really difficult. I tried to find out what you could mean by looking up pictures of a bivouac but I don't understand what you would need a shovel for yet.

22 hours ago, odizzido said:

From actual experience, digging into the ground with a shovel when everything is frozen is really difficult. I tried to find out what you could mean by looking up pictures of a bivouac but I don't understand what you would need a shovel for yet.

I don't think the OP is suggesting digging into the frozen ground, but digging into the snow.  However, it doesn't appear as the snow in the game is generally deep enough (i.e. the grass pokes through in many places) and snow drifts don't appear in areas where they logically should.  We do have some plow ridges along the roads, but that snow would be inordinately packed and hard to dig.

OP - IRL, I think the game's set peice/environment has not been coded in such a way that it can be altered by the player.  Lots of people have asked for the ability to chop down the trees and Hinterland has responded along the lines of that requiring that the whole game be rebuilt from scratch.  The snow shelter is meant to be something of a bivouac, but the mechanic is to place it above the ground.  They could simply add that a tool (the shovel) be required to build it, but that would just serve to discourage people further from using it... since it already is a finicky to place due to it's rather large footb=print.