Hi all

Thelek

Hello, Everyone.

;y name is Thelek, and I am  ....... Almost completely lost. It has been a couple af years since I have played TLD. This is almost totally diffrent game from when i last played. I really like it, but as i said, i am a bit lost.

When i last played, chapter 1 of wintermute had just been released. I didn't really care for i just prefer to explore at my own pace and go where i like. So survival mode is my favorite mode of play. But i have been major issues with my eyes, including extreme light sensitivity, color bluring and now glaucoma. So i had to back off from TLD because everything was too bright. 

So, i come back and discover a whole dirrfent game from hat i was used to, and i love it so far. But it is still too bright and i csn only play a cuople hours at a time between headaches. I do have a little story for you, tho. Let y'all get a good laugh at my expense. First try in survival i res in at the logging camp in ML, this was always my favorite place to start. The trailers usually have great resources and if i was really lucky, i could walk out of there with a hatchet, hunting knife, storm lantern, and a pry bar. I could also find some good clothes on an occasion. Then there was either the preppers cache or maple sapling if you turned toward the dam. And my favorite aspect of spawning at this location, is the lookout tower just a little down the road. Well i ran to the burned out building an collected the hatchet, seceral pieces of firewood. A cook pot, and a skill book. The trailers held respectable loot, then i headed to the cache location. Not really surprised to find that it wasn't there, but i was surprised to see there was no sapling,  either. Oh well, time to head the other way. I was getting excited as i neared the clear cut, my favorite shelter in ML was just up the hill. As i turned the last corner, my excitement turned to dispair. The tower was destroyed. Well, i guess it's time to figure out if i liked the trapper cabin or dam better. I stood on the hill a few moments more and started making my way to trapper cabin. I didn't make it. 

About 5 plays later, i ended up at the now destroyed outlook tower again, a rope is always a good thing to have and it seems that is a fixed resource at this location. I had cleared the area, and added a shiny new rifle to my collection, and was just getting ready to head back toward the dam when a small movement chaught my eye. On that ridge over there..... What is that??? "enables xbox zoom" is that a flag??? And another lookout???? How did i miss that before? Oh yeah, that's tight, i am almost blind. Well, i have spent the last several plays trying to figure out to get to the new lookout. Haven't made it yet, but hope to soon.

A couple questions, tho. First, do the caches still exist? I have been keeping an eye out for them, but haven't seen one yet. But i have also noticed a couple of the locations have significantly changed to the point that the cache would have to have been moved some distance. Next, why does it still take 10 minutes to break a branch into 3 sticks????? Seriously??? 10 minutes??? In real life, it might take 60 seconds or less, not 10 minutes. But then, i have always had some issues with time usage in this game. I just don't do tasks that i can get away with skipping, like breaking branches into sticks. And finally, are there plans in the works to allow us a small sled? I see a lot of teasers that point in that direction. 

Well, time to get back to it. I have a tower to fiind.

Hello. First of all I wish to share a channel which does excellent monitor reviews. In particular they test minimum brightness which may make a big difference to your eyes.

Now to answer your other questions, yes caches still exist, but not on the lowest loot settings/interloper.
Sticks take forever to break down because hinterland doesn't seem to care about getting anywhere close to reality.
As far as I know there are no plans at all to implement a sled

20 hours ago, Thelek said:

Hello, Everyone.

;y name is Thelek, and I am  ....... Almost completely lost. It has been a couple af years since I have played TLD. This is almost totally diffrent game from when i last played. I really like it, but as i said, i am a bit lost.

When i last played, chapter 1 of wintermute had just been released. I didn't really care for i just prefer to explore at my own pace and go where i like. So survival mode is my favorite mode of play. But i have been major issues with my eyes, including extreme light sensitivity, color bluring and now glaucoma. So i had to back off from TLD because everything was too bright. 

So, i come back and discover a whole dirrfent game from hat i was used to, and i love it so far. But it is still too bright and i csn only play a cuople hours at a time between headaches. I do have a little story for you, tho. Let y'all get a good laugh at my expense. First try in survival i res in at the logging camp in ML, this was always my favorite place to start. The trailers usually have great resources and if i was really lucky, i could walk out of there with a hatchet, hunting knife, storm lantern, and a pry bar. I could also find some good clothes on an occasion. Then there was either the preppers cache or maple sapling if you turned toward the dam. And my favorite aspect of spawning at this location, is the lookout tower just a little down the road. Well i ran to the burned out building an collected the hatchet, seceral pieces of firewood. A cook pot, and a skill book. The trailers held respectable loot, then i headed to the cache location. Not really surprised to find that it wasn't there, but i was surprised to see there was no sapling,  either. Oh well, time to head the other way. I was getting excited as i neared the clear cut, my favorite shelter in ML was just up the hill. As i turned the last corner, my excitement turned to dispair. The tower was destroyed. Well, i guess it's time to figure out if i liked the trapper cabin or dam better. I stood on the hill a few moments more and started making my way to trapper cabin. I didn't make it. 

About 5 plays later, i ended up at the now destroyed outlook tower again, a rope is always a good thing to have and it seems that is a fixed resource at this location. I had cleared the area, and added a shiny new rifle to my collection, and was just getting ready to head back toward the dam when a small movement chaught my eye. On that ridge over there..... What is that??? "enables xbox zoom" is that a flag??? And another lookout???? How did i miss that before? Oh yeah, that's tight, i am almost blind. Well, i have spent the last several plays trying to figure out to get to the new lookout. Haven't made it yet, but hope to soon.

A couple questions, tho. First, do the caches still exist? I have been keeping an eye out for them, but haven't seen one yet. But i have also noticed a couple of the locations have significantly changed to the point that the cache would have to have been moved some distance. Next, why does it still take 10 minutes to break a branch into 3 sticks????? Seriously??? 10 minutes??? In real life, it might take 60 seconds or less, not 10 minutes. But then, i have always had some issues with time usage in this game. I just don't do tasks that i can get away with skipping, like breaking branches into sticks. And finally, are there plans in the works to allow us a small sled? I see a lot of teasers that point in that direction. 

Well, time to get back to it. I have a tower to fiind.

I would say dont bother breaking branches unless absolutely necessary. I am always able to find enough sticks just laying on the ground. After a good blizzard you can find heaps of sticks. 

I agree with you about the branches taking way too long. There are definitely some balance issues with the game. I mean I have to eat 4 pounds of deer to fill myself up. 

• Like 1

Yes, there are several time and other balance issues i have always had a problem with. I don't usually break up branches, that was just the easiest time issue to pick on, and since i have always been a bit of a jerk about it, the best one for me to pick up on upon my return. Don't get me wrong, i have always loved this game, and even tho i may not always play, it is one of my top 5. I just can't play for long sessions because of my eye problems.

Speaking of my eye problems, thank you for the link, @osizzido. But i game on an xbox with a 40" tv. I do have a lap top, but can't use it much because a 15" screen is just too small. 

5 hours ago, Thelek said:

Speaking of my eye problems, thank you for the link, @osizzido. But i game on an xbox with a 40" tv. I do have a lap top, but can't use it much because a 15" screen is just too small.

Oh okay. I know a number of monitors can be used on an xbox but you may need to find an audio solution. Maybe there is another reviewer that looks at TVs and measures the minimum brightness. I am not sure.