This is the most devastating bug I've encountered

• tennessean734 changed the title to This is the most devastating bug I've encountered

that is heartbreaking:(

for the very same reasons I have a TLD backup NOW.bat file on my desktop, right next to the game icon to be pressed before starting up...
it consists of a single line:
xcopy /s /y C:\Users\[your windows username here]\AppData\Local\Hinterland\TheLongDark D:\Dropbox\HinterlandBackup

I set it up after losing a 600 day survivor on a similar issue. When it is my unpreparedness, I deserve to lose her - no questions about it...

• Upvote 4

I wonder what happened.  Since exiting Carter Hydro at that point, which is a one-way door, would put the OP into the "outside world" and the actual result was he appeared in another "inside world" (the Winding River/Carter Hydro cave) which was some distance away, I would guess that, for some reason, the "outside world" was considered invalid by the game and the one-way aspect of the door he passed through meant the game could not just put him back where he had been (in Carter Hydro) so it put him (spawned him) in the next valid location he could have transitioned to (rather than at the entrance from Winding River into Carter Hydro which would be closer).  Unfortunately in the process the game went back to a default condition of the start of the game rather than where he had been in it. 

The save game file would be on the individual PC and beyond the reach of Hinterland.  I am no technician so I hope they can do something to recover the OP's gear, but I don't know.