Why is the Bearskin Coat so heavy?

straffin

Why is the Bearskin Coat so heavy? If a Cured Black Bear Skin weighs 1kg and Cured Gut weighs 0.1kg, why does something made from 2 skins and 4 guts (that weigh 2.4kg as materials) more than double in weight to 5kg when crafted into a coat? :-/ At the very least, this should be adjusted down to 2.5kg. 2.0kg would be better since there's undoubtedly material loss in the crafting process, but that would put it equal with a few other obviously lighter coats (Mariner's, Military, OF Parka), so 2.5kg is at least within 0.1kg of what should be its maximum weight. Even the Moose-hide cloak loses a full kg when crafted. Can this be fixed? Pretty please?

(Or, in an alternative that I'm sure would be terribly unpopular but would also make sense, you could increase the weight of Black Bear Skins to something like 2.5kg each. And while we're at it, Rabbitskin Mitts, Deerskin Pants, and Deerskin Boots should all be lighter as well.)

Loving the game regardless of how oddball the crafted clothing weights are! 😃

I admit it makes little sense realism wise - and its really not the only "odd" thing in the game. Think about how little caloric value a 1kg of meat, any meat, has. And how a person can just easily eat 2, 3kg of meat on an empty stomach. And, furthermore on that issue - a deer only have 9 kg of meat on it at most? Deer have about 45 to 60 or so Kg in weight, there should be a lot more meat on them. Surely wolves dont have 6kg of meat on them, and rabbits 1,5 kg, either. Compared to their weight overall. 

The answer to all those questions is "game banance". Some items have very weird weight and caloric ratios compared to what you would expect. Even compared to their material weight, like you pointed out. It is there to make the game more difficult. The player eats three times the amount people normally would eat, the meat on animals wont last you for months to make you actually get out of the house and out hunting more. And even then, making stockpiles of food is not terribly difficult. 

I think they should definitely increase the weight of hides of moose and bear. They are big animals, much bigger then the deer, so if deer hide is  0,5kg, bear should easily be 2,5kg. It still wont make much sense, but there is a point to bulkier and warmer clothes being more robust, restrictive and even heavier. Perhaps they could balance it out a bit, making the cured version of the hides be a little bit lighter, as they get dehydrated, and water is often one of the heaviest substances in living organisms.

Oh boy does the bearskin cloak get heavy when it gets wet eventually... part of the reason I never really wear them unless its for a purpose, like ice water fishing sessions that are days long, to save up on firewood...