Harder, more rewarding hunting.

Vareta

Ive never seen a wild rabbit, much less hunted it, but im pretty sure it would still see you if you were crouched one meter away from it. In my opinion hunting is too easy and a little too unrealistic, for example, I always hunt deer with a revolver, I simply get as close as I can, crouched, shoot them once in the head and done. I dont think you should be able to do this, it would be a lot more fun to, intelegently, track and shoot an animal from far away, this would obviously take more time and effort, which leads to another point, reward. Right now, a deer wields a maximum of 10 kg of meat, Im pretty sure a real one would have a lot more than 10 kg of consumable meat, thus, making them "fatter" is acceptable So basically, what I propose, for each animal is:

Rabbit: bigger detection radius, a little more meat, and a bigger knockout time (so that you have time to grab it). I think these changes would also make snares more useful, because hitting them with rocks would be a lot harder and actually require "skill".

Deer: bigger detection radius, more meat and maybe make them more durable. This would make a hunt longer, in case of a not critical shot, promote tracking and make it more rewarding.

Moose: bigger detection radius and when shot instead of always running away they will sometimes charge against the player. Because moose do not bleed out, tracking isnt as viable, as such making them more aggresive will make this prey a lot more dangerous. Their spawnpoints shouldnt include a safe spot from which to shoot.

Wolf: its more probable that the wolf is going to be the one hunting you but I still believe that it should have a bigger detection radius, and when it detects you it should always be able to "catch up", basically it means that you shouldnt be able to completely avoid them by walking in the opposite direction.

Bear: Bears are too easy to avoid, they are extremely slow when not in a charge, and to trigger it you need to be like 5 meters away from it (not accurate). I think they should be more agressive and actively pursue the player. When wounded instead of running away mindlessly they should try and head to their respective cave.

I believe these changes, would make hunting a bigger, more fun challenge.

• Upvote 3

Have you tried going into the Custom game menus and increasing the Wildlife Detection Range settng.  You can also increase the Wildlife Smell Range and the amount your own scent increases from meat and blood... all of which will make all the animals more aware of you.  Passive animals will flee quicker (deer and rabbits) and predators will start hunting you from a great distance (wolves).  Moose and bear will be alerted to your presence sooner as well.  Each standard difficulty mode uses a different set of settings from this menu.

I wouldn't mind if they added custom settings for each animal individually

8 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Have you tried going into the Custom game menus and increasing the Wildlife Detection Range settng.  You can also increase the Wildlife Smell Range and the amount your own scent increases from meat and blood... all of which will make all the animals more aware of you.  Passive animals will flee quicker (deer and rabbits) and predators will start hunting you from a great distance (wolves).  Moose and bear will be alerted to your presence sooner as well.  Each standard difficulty mode uses a different set of settings from this menu.

I wouldn't mind if they added custom settings for each animal individually

Thx for the advice! yes Ive seen the Custom game settings and already experimented with them. I just feel like some tweaks to hunting mechanics would bea nice improvement.

I would love to see hunting get an overhaul similar to what you're saying. Yes deer have far far more than 10kg of meat on them, plus the actual calorie count on the meat is over double. Even if we made new hunt deer have ten times the calories of current deer it would still be under what it actually is. There is no worries at all about getting unrealistic the other way around. Just for fun I figured out what the size of the dogs in the game are, in terms of calories, and they're about the size of a cavalier king charles spaniel. I would love a mod where the current dogs get replaced by them, along with all their sounds. In many ways it would be a realism mod too. It sounds amazing. The king charles struggle.

But yeah, rambling aside, making deer/etc much harder to get I think would be great. Having the hunt be harder but more rewarding. Not knowing if you're going to be able to get food that day or not. Sounds great to me. I think there would need to be two extra parts to what you've said though.

Number one would be heavily reducing the population, probably by at least 90%, of everything. If you see animals everywhere like you do currently it's never going to be a hunt, it will simply be shoot the animal outside your door like it currently is.

Second one is the tiny little roaming areas that exist now would have to go. Deer and such need to be able to wander all over the map so we can't just look over the hill at deer spawn point A and know there is nothing there and move to point B. We would need to actually around for them.

Now some supporting things that could be added is something like making animal tacks last much longer than they currently do. This would allow an observant person to track down these high reward animals

Another potential is to make it so dogs aren't so hyper aggressive and mindless. Currently you can throw on some guts and go for a short little walk and dogs will swarm in to donate their meat to you. It makes hunting them incredibly easy.

Anyways I am out of time, but yeah just some thoughts.