Update Idea - Forgoing Scavenger

Themadlad94

I know we just got the Darkwalker event, but I have had this idea for a bit. This update idea would require a lot of work from the team and I don't think they would do it anytime soon, but it could bring some brand new mechanics to the game. I will break it into segments to make it more organized.

The bear spear-I believe the devs were talking about adding the bear spear to survival mode a while back. The bear spear would be used as it is right now in Wintermute where you brace with it and then get put into a struggle. It would however spawn in multiple locations unlike Wintermute. These locations should be pretty out of the way so they are a late game item.

Boss animals-Just as the name suggests, Boss animals. Bosses could be found by finding pieces of paper or notes around Great Bear. It could be a note telling the exact location, or a newspaper article saying its location vaguely. The animal could be a new animal type completely, like a polar bear in HRV, or a Caribou in Milton. When killed, the animal would drop a hide that has boosted stats from its normal counterpart and could be used to make wonderful pieces of clothing.

I know this idea sounds far-fetched, but I think it could bring some uniqueness to the game. Thoughts?

21 hours ago, Themadlad94 said:

I know this idea sounds far-fetched

I think it sounds more like Red dead redemption :D. however i dont think having beautiful clothes would be that interesting in this game. When you got a bunch of clothes, you dont need Extremely wharm clothes. however if they were lighter that would be interesting

Just now, oplli said:

I think it sounds more like Red dead redemption :D. however i dont think having beautiful clothes would be that interesting in this game. When you got a bunch of clothes, you dont need Extremely wharm clothes. however if they were lighter that would be interesting

I drew some inspiration from RDR2, but you can gut a bison in around 3 seconds so its not very accurate. The hides would be boosted in almost all categories, I.e. If I were to kill an epic moose and use the skin to make a cloak, then it would give me boosted protection and wind resistance too, so is more things to think about than just warmth.  

3 hours ago, Themadlad94 said:

I drew some inspiration from RDR2, but you can gut a bison in around 3 seconds so its not very accurate. The hides would be boosted in almost all categories, I.e. If I were to kill an epic moose and use the skin to make a cloak, then it would give me boosted protection and wind resistance too, so is more things to think about than just warmth.  

If we were making a sachel from and epic moose we could get 10kg instead of 5 huuh ? I hope :) (The idea is not that bad after thinking about it, i just think it should not be top priority and they should test it as an event before. just to make shure its not innapropriate to the long dark)

1 hour ago, oplli said:

If we were making a sachel from and epic moose we could get 10kg instead of 5 huuh ? I hope :) (The idea is not that bad after thinking about it, i just think it should not be top priority and they should test it as an event before. just to make shure its not innapropriate to the long dark)

If it becomes an event. Then the reward for us will not only be the achievement badge. But also a unique thing... Although? how can this be implemented?

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/4/2020 at 4:00 PM, Themadlad94 said:

The hides would be boosted in almost all categories, I.e. If I were to kill an epic moose and use the skin to make a cloak, then it would give me boosted protection and wind resistance too, so is more things to think about than just warmth.  

On 11/4/2020 at 9:26 PM, k0s0ff said:

If it becomes an event. Then the reward for us will not only be the achievement badge. But also a unique thing... Although? how can this be implemented?

I think this is an interesting idea.  Maybe for an event or challenge they could have several legendary or tall-tale like beasts (like an albino moose, an extra tough predator, or even a rare fish that can show up in one or specific location), and killing or catching all of them under some specified conditions would result in a badge.  

I can think of two ways this could be implemented in survival, if it was popular enough.  Lets say for both cases that these creatures had an extremely rare spawn rate.

The first way would be similar to the original post.  Maybe you would only have a chance of say one or two of these creatures spawning into any given game and they could drop an exceptional hide that could be used to make a respective item with boosted stats.  Maybe things like a lighter bearskin bedroll, a wolf skin coat with better wolf deterring ability, or maybe a better moose hide cloak or satchel as previously mentioned.   To keep from making these Items too over powered perhaps you would need your mending or harvesting skill to be maxed out before you could actually craft that item.

Second idea would be granting a feat for having either observed or killed the rare creatures.  If they were to implement them in survival and not just a challenge maybe you would have to go through multiple playthroughs to actually see each of these animals. That way it is not too easy to get this feat.  If you are expected to hunt, fish, or capture these creatures than maybe the feat could be like a sportsman feat and it would grant an increased starting level to ranged hunting (archery, rifles, or both - to account for interloper).

• Like 1