Moose

• 3 weeks later...

After having played WE recently and in my last playthrough I encountered a moose in each region of the map I passed thru.  Even managed to hunt a few successfully. 

However, more recently I started a new sandbox and spawned in DP.  so far have encountered 3 moose over the span of 126 days.
I ran into my first moose within a couple of days of starting my new game.    Having already found the rifle, I was able to harvest him only after having shot him 3 times.  I decided to stay put in DP for a while and  within another 60 days or so, another moose appeared on the bridge.  I took him down with a revolver, but that took multiple rounds, about 6 in total.   Then just today, have stayed put in DP,  what is waiting on the bridge for me?  Moose  number 3! 

This was more of a long and drawn out exchange.  After a full day of chasing this beast I managed to put 7 arrows in him before finally bringing him down.  Lost 2 arrows when he dropped on them and two were broken when I hit him straight up in the antlers. 

So it seems to me that if you stay put in a region long enough they'll come to you!

screen_f8016531-ae0e-48ee-a79e-56230c6bf61d_hi.thumb.png.1406bb3b7be04e7479ae9c3c525a780a.png

I'll echo what I've mentioned in previous threads (I recommend the search function; since there has been a lot of really good discussion about this topic in the past):

On 6/25/2020 at 7:20 PM, ManicManiac said:

From my observations and from what Hinterland has posted about it in the past:
Only one Moose spawns on the island at a time, and then it "migrates" between any of the potential spawn points chosen at the beginning of the run.

On 2/9/2020 at 1:18 AM, ManicManiac said:

I don't claim to know definitively... but the following is what I've personally observed (or what has been posted by Hinterland) about the moose behavior:

There are various possible moose spawning points.  At the beginning of a survival sandbox, spawn points are pseudo-randomly selected from amongst the pool of possible spawn points.  Only one moose will spawn at a time, and that one moose will "migrate" between all the spawn points that were selected at the beginning of the run.  The longest I've seen the moose stay in one location has been 4 game days.  By this I mean, that the moose will change locations at some interval between 1 and 4 game days - though this duration may have changed in more recent updates, and it's also possible that a longer stay in one location may in truth result from the same location being selected for consecutive intervals.  Once successfully hunted, then the population respawn interval for the moose (at the selected difficulty) must pass before the migration process will begin again.

On 6/7/2020 at 7:07 PM, ManicManiac said:

Those selected possible spawn points manifest as the scrapped trees.  These indicate an active possible spawn location for a moose.  Very similar to how bones in at the mouth of a cave (or other locations on some rare occasions - like the Low Blind) indicate an active bear spawn location.

Just like the "bear den," scrapped trees will always stay scrapped for the duration of each particular run, in much the same way that the bones indicating a bear den will be there whether a bear is there or not.

On 6/25/2020 at 11:01 PM, ManicManiac said:

What I mean is:

Let's just say in one particular run you end up with... say 12 spawn points.
The moose doesn't just cycle through them in order.

(lets just use number designations to make this example easier)

So for example: the moose starts the game at spawn#7.  It will then seemingly migrate to another spot at intervals between at least 1-4 days (this duration is anecdotal from my observations about the moose behavior, the actual interval could be shorter... seeing the moose in a spot for 4 days may have been a case where it rolled the same spawn location two intervals in a row  - I have no way to know for sure since I can't look at the source code).  So let's continue and say in this case it starts at spawn#7, then migrates to spawn#12, then spawn#9, then spawn#7, then spawn#4, and spawn#4 again... and so on and so on.

So... there is no guarantee that the moose will ever be at a particular spawn point... there is only the chance that it will.  Because the migration is pseudorandomly selected, then generally speaking every possible spawn point has an equal chance of being selected each time the "dwell time interval" expires rolls a check.  :)

Also, ajb1978 mentioned the possibility of one guaranteed spawn (separate from and) in addition to the one that "migrates" between each of the other potential spawn points: 

On 6/26/2020 at 1:51 AM, ajb1978 said:

I've recently seen a moose in Bleak Inlet near the FM transition cave (I let him live since I was on my way out), and a second at Milton Basin.

to which I replied:

On 6/26/2020 at 2:59 AM, ManicManiac said:

Then perhaps it's true that Bleak Inlet does have one dedicated Moose resident.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

@piddy3825

Yes, Bleak Inlet is the one I was referring to.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
As for Milton Basin... it seems you might have just had a lot of good luck in consistently finding one there.  I only assume that because of my own experiences.  I've had several occasions where I've not found a moose in the basin, and only sometimes found scrapped trees denoting a potential spawn location for Great Bear's wondering moose.  :)

Edited by ManicManiac

• 1 month later...

There can be multiple possible locations for the moose to spawn in each region.  The spawn point where it could spawn is denoted by a rubbed off tree trunk.  Only one moose exists in the entire world at a time but will change to a different possible (possible spawns determined on first game load) spawn location after a certain amount of time.