ATTN DEVS PATCH 1.99

FoneBoneJay

ATTENTION DEVELOPERS...PATCH 1.99...

I AM RUNNING 1.99 IN WINDOWED MODE, IT NOW ROUTINELY CLICKS OFF THE SOFTWARE AND ONTO MY DESKTOP FOR NO REASON. KILLED ME IN A WOLF ENCOUNTER FOR 100%. ALSO TAKE 5 SECONDS TO LEAVE A BUILDING EVERY TIME WHEN IT WAS ONLY TAKING 1 SECOND BEFORE, RUNNING ON A SAMSUNG 840 250MB SSD AND HAVE NOT CHANGED THE HARDWARE.

PLZ ADDRESS...

THAT IS ALL.

Guest Alan Lawrance

To address the running out of memory problem on 32bit systems, we needed to stop carrying assets between scenes that made for faster transitions. Our tests indicated a 1 or 2 second longer load time. Our goal is to get this time back through other loading optimizations, but this won't be in until the next major update.

For the click issue, I haven't seen or heard of this problem yet. Is it something you can reliably reproduce, or does it just happen randomly?

Our tests indicated a 1 or 2 second longer load time.

Then I guess your tests aren't very representative. In Pleasant Valley it regularly takes 6 seconds for me to leave the Farmstead (i7 3770 and a GTX 660 Ti). Which is just about the same time it takes for me to start the game, navigate through the menu and load my saved game inside the Farmstead.

I know there is this long standing tradition of settling with the simplest working solution (aka the worst working solution) in software development, but I think increasing the loading times for everyone for every transition instead of just for those affected by the problem is a terrible decision. Detecting if a system is 32bit or 64bit should be trivial and even if it's not, an additional setting in the options would be a much better approach.

To address the running out of memory problem on 32bit systems, we needed to stop carrying assets between scenes that made for faster transitions. Our tests indicated a 1 or 2 second longer load time. Our goal is to get this time back through other loading optimizations, but this won't be in until the next major update.

For the click issue, I haven't seen or heard of this problem yet. Is it something you can reliably reproduce, or does it just happen randomly?

The mouse sometimes when I swerve from side to side rolls outside the windowed screen. Then a click on my desktop is a click on my desktop.

Support 32bit gamers? For real? Come on guys it is 2015, game to be released in 2016. You guys need to think jet packs not propeller bi-plane propellors. When 32 bit computing was king computers still had 1.44MB floppy drives. The computer I just built has 8CPU cores, 32GB RAM, an SSD Drive, never mind the Floppy drive, I didn't even include a DVD burner with my new rig because I think optical is going the way of the floppy disk drive.

If it was 2010 I could respect that but it is 2015. If anybody is planning to game TLD on their Win XP computer or Win 7 32bit that is their problem. 32BIT SHOULD NOT BE RUINING A STREAMLINED EXPRIENCE FOR THE REST OF US.

I Implore the developer group to re-think this issue and revert that patch to allow the majority to have good performance.

Issue is occurring when loading the external map after exiting a building. When panning the cursor off the program window it suddenly has an arrow cursor on he desktop. Was not an issue prior to 1.99, at least it was not noticed in 1.98 or 1.96. Played for a few hours in 1.96 without issue.

by Alan Lawrance » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:27 am

"To address the running out of memory problem on 32bit systems, we needed to stop carrying assets between scenes that made for faster transitions. Our tests indicated a 1 or 2 second longer load time. "

very generous, not selfish at all, hands down to the developers.. i have a 64bit os i dont care if mine is compromised with a second or two longer which my 64bit had no problem handling.. as long as eVrybody can play, im for the fixes devs!

d=(´▽`)=b

Why stop there why don't we cater to the 16 bit players too and put in a 256 color mode too?

Hi Alan,

I can confirm when playing in windowed mode, and the desktop res is larger, the bug exists, where the game does not stay the active window and the cursor will roll outside of the game upon exiting the buildings.

..... Support 32bit gamers? For real? Come on guys it is 2015, game to be released in 2016. You guys need to think jet packs not propeller bi-plane propellors. When 32 bit computing was king computers still had 1.44MB floppy drives. The computer I just built has 8CPU cores, 32GB RAM, an SSD Drive, never mind the Floppy drive, I didn't even include a DVD burner with my new rig because I think optical is going the way of the floppy disk drive.

If it was 2010 I could respect that but it is 2015. If anybody is planning to game TLD on their Win XP computer or Win 7 32bit that is their problem. 32BIT SHOULD NOT BE RUINING A STREAMLINED EXPRIENCE FOR THE REST OF US.

I Implore the developer group to re-think this issue and revert that patch to allow the majority to have good performance.....

I've got to agree. However, if the devs support 32-bit to the detriment of 64-bit players' experience, it won't be the first time developers have chosen that direction. The game I used to play for years (and at tremendous expense for all the expansions) released a new version to improve 32-bit performance, refused to implement 64-bit memory utilization, and removed a lot of content 32-bit systems couldn't manage easily. (Modders had fixed that in the previous version.) The response from established players was negative, to say the least.

One of the reasons I bought TLD was that the Origin page recommended 8GB of RAM, which hinted at 64-bit memory utilization. Now I'm not so sure I interpreted that correctly.

..... Support 32bit gamers? For real? Come on guys it is 2015, game to be released in 2016. You guys need to think jet packs not propeller bi-plane propellors. When 32 bit computing was king computers still had 1.44MB floppy drives. The computer I just built has 8CPU cores, 32GB RAM, an SSD Drive, never mind the Floppy drive, I didn't even include a DVD burner with my new rig because I think optical is going the way of the floppy disk drive.

I Implore the developer group to re-think this issue and revert that patch to allow the majority to have good performance.....

I've got to agree. However, if the devs support 32-bit to the detriment of 64-bit players' experience, it won't be the first time developers have chosen that direction. The game I used to play for years (and at tremendous expense for all the expansions) released a new version to improve 32-bit performance, refused to implement 64-bit memory utilization, and removed a lot of content 32-bit systems couldn't manage easily. (Modders had fixed that in the previous version.) The response from established players was negative, to say the least.

One of the reasons I bought TLD was that the Origin page recommended 8GB of RAM, which hinted at 64-bit memory utilization. Now I'm not so sure I interpreted that correctly.

I agree it wont be the first time. But this issue is a result of the fact 32bit only addresses 2GB natively and 3GB with a work around. In any event this was the reason to go 64bit as far back as Windows XP 64bit, Since then we've had Vista 64bit (2006) with large scale driver support, Windows 7 64bit (2009) with large scale driver support Windows 8 64bit (2012) large scale driver support... and Windows 8.1.

By the time The Long Dark releases Windows 10 will be here and as already stated we live in a 64bit environment. I just don't understand the decision to support 32bit at all. Now on a product that invaringly won't be able to keep it under 2GB memory footprint and why they hell would you want to when most systems even budget systems sold today have 8GB ram on them and the vast majority of OS are 64bit OS?

In fact I'd argue the only reason 32bit machines still exist is due to enterprise sytems coming from XP to 7 and or completely un-researched and ignorant computer users making a poor OS choice.

Our tests indicated a 1 or 2 second longer load time. Our goal is to get this time back through other loading optimizations, but this won't be in until the next major update.

I'm getting the longer load times as well, looking forward to your other loading optimizations. Fancy! :idea:

Today I will finish my windows updates and the lord willing will see Windows activate when I put it online and upgrade my GPU drivers. Once completed I aim to load STEAM and TLD onto a RAM drive. Go ahead and load those assets. Let them try and slow me down with a 6 second load time BS. If they have to load all the assets , LET THEM LOAD FROM from RAM baby MUHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Suck it 32 bit OS Owners,

I call your 32bit OS and Raise you 32 GIGS OF RAM

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

If they have to load all the assets , LET THEM LOAD FROM from RAM baby

I wouldn't expect too much from that.

I have the game on an SSD and enough free RAM for the OS disk cache to contain all of its files and I still see 6 seconds load times in PV.

My system monitoring tool suggests the time is burnt on CPU, not I/O. :(

Archived