Survival Bow Bear Hunt - long shot strikes mortal wound

piddy3825

Not sure if this was just a fluke or does crafting a new survival bow and arrows improve distance and accuracy?  My character is level 5 in archery as that may have some bearing, no pun intend...

So, I've just spent the past couple days indoors crafting new survival bow and 10 arrows.  My cabin fever warning light is coming on so I decide I might as well take a little stroll out on the ice and see whats what?  I leave the gas station early in the morning and make way towards the docks.  It's quite and nothing is on the ice.  I start walking towards the fishing shack facing Misanthropes and as I start getting closer to the shack I see the bear come sauntering out of his cave and start making his way across the frozen lake.  By this point I've made it to the shack and I'm thinking about just doing a little fishing as I didn't want to have to tangle with a bear out on the middle of the ice with nowhere to run.  I stand in front of the doorway watching the bear slowly plod across the ice.

hmmm... I pull out my new bow, nock an arrow and aim high up and let the shaft fly.  Damn, thing flies right over the top like a missile and I see a spray of snow at the top of the berm where my arrow hits.  The bear is oblivious the whole time.  Trying again, this time I aim a little lower and fire off another shaft.  Again sails over the top of the bear impacting the berm about half way down.  Bear still oblivious to this attempt on his life.  I draw a third arrow, take aim again and fling another shaft in his direction.

Suddenly, the beast whirls about as my arrow appears out of nowhere!  He bawls and spins about and runs up the bank towards the cabin and subsequently out of sight.  Thinking that I had just scared the brute, I figured I should retrieve my arrows so I run across the ice only to find blood but no arrow.

screen_2dba5a7a-20c5-4d06-88af-5c6a1fd45d8c_hi.thumb.png.ae470d6f571009b5352d5556fcbc0eda.png

I'm thinking no way I hit this bear?!?  I search for my 2nd arrow, it just disappeared.  

screen_f7cbf4ee-00c3-4be1-b9f0-e045723534f3_hi.thumb.png.9b1292f2f3ccf9a1637840fd90fbb988.png

But I did find my first arrow at the top of the berm.  I was/am impressed with the distance!  How far would you say that was?  500 meters?

I found the bears footprints, but no blood spatter in the snow.  I was able to follow the bear track in the snow until it ran onto the ice and the tracks all disappeared as did the bear.
I ended up going back to the fishing shack and spent a few hours fishing.  As I am leaving, what do I see out on the ice?

screen_127edbe2-adc1-4e6a-97b1-8d9f031d46d6_hi.thumb.png.9343545c40cd6063d8b6e09af1b01cc4.png

I would like to think that this was a shot for the record books.  

As I approached the carcass, I was so filled with positively charged energy that I was able to pluck the arrow from the bears body just using my mind...

screen_b09957e8-5671-4109-a1fb-5ce00c9e1586_hi.thumb.png.936c85bcf6ef7decbbf3812aff57baef.png

• Upvote 2

That's interesting and nice shot btw. I'm not sure if building a new bow increases distance or accuracy but I've been having a hell of a time with the bow. I am at level 3 and I have recently shot 2 deer, both in the same area(hindquarters) and both of them took a very long time to bleed out. I get that it takes some time but an arrow creates a bigger wound than a bullet does so the wiki says 40 minutes to bleed out if shot in the hind. Yeah, I don't think so lol. First deer ran starting from Camp Office going all the way to the lake cabins where it stopped and I shot it again and it ran all the way to the Deadfall Area before finally dropping

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, PrincessAutumn said:

That's interesting and nice shot btw. I'm not sure if building a new bow increases distance or accuracy but I've been having a hell of a time with the bow. I am at level 3 and I have recently shot 2 deer, both in the same area(hindquarters) and both of them took a very long time to bleed out. I get that it takes some time but an arrow creates a bigger wound than a bullet does so the wiki says 40 minutes to bleed out if shot in the hind. Yeah, I don't think so lol. First deer ran starting from Camp Office going all the way to the lake cabins where it stopped and I shot it again and it ran all the way to the Deadfall Area before finally dropping

I'd like to think that a new bow would have a better draw as the strings aren't stretched out yet, but I dunno in this scenario.  Anyway, I feel your pain when having to track a deer from one side of the map to another.  Especially when you have a very limited supply of arrows and your prey is running away at high speed with your precious shaft sticking out of it's rump!   Bow hunting becomes a complete game changer when you reach level 5 and can actually crouch and still shoot the bow.  Your obviously able to get much closer and that makes it easier to shoot the deer when they are relaxed and standing still as compared to longer range shot on the fly.  Being able to crouch and shoot also makes killing a wolf easier as well when they are charging at you.  Just keep on reading what skill books you can find and craft as much as you can.  Each wildlife hit you make with the bow gets you another point closer to reaching level 5.  good luck with your game!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Killing a charging wolf with a bow is easy enough.  Just walk backwards while aiming at his face.  This will straighten his charge out a bit and give you half a second more to aim and fire when he’s in range.  Don’t be late loosing that arrow though!  If you are late you’ll be in a struggle.  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

I'd like to think that a new bow would have a better draw as the strings aren't stretched out yet, but I dunno in this scenario.  Anyway, I feel your pain when having to track a deer from one side of the map to another.  Especially when you have a very limited supply of arrows and your prey is running away at high speed with your precious shaft sticking out of it's rump!   Bow hunting becomes a complete game changer when you reach level 5 and can actually crouch and still shoot the bow.  Your obviously able to get much closer and that makes it easier to shoot the deer when they are relaxed and standing still as compared to longer range shot on the fly.  Being able to crouch and shoot also makes killing a wolf easier as well when they are charging at you.  Just keep on reading what skill books you can find and craft as much as you can.  Each wildlife hit you make with the bow gets you another point closer to reaching level 5.  good luck with your game!

Yeah I had heard there was some pretty sweet perks of level 5 Archery skill. I guess I'm a little too impatient as I'm so used to using the rifle lol 😅But thank you so much for the tips. it's much appreciated! :x

• Upvote 1

Occasionally we get these "fantastic" and unexpected kills.  I recall standing outside Trapper's seeing a deer out in the bowl down below, maybe 50 or 100 yards (yeah, 100, whose telling this story :) ) loosing an arrow at it and *presto* it dropped in its tracks.  Astounding.  No recording of this "Geltaz" shot :(.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, UTC-10 said:

Occasionally we get these "fantastic" and unexpected kills.  I recall standing outside Trapper's seeing a deer out in the bowl down below, maybe 50 or 100 yards (yeah, 100, whose telling this story :) ) loosing an arrow at it and *presto* it dropped in its tracks.  Astounding.  No recording of this "Geltaz" shot :(.

oh, now there's a name I hadn't heard in a while!  Used to watch his videos all the time back when I first started playing.   Is he still producing content?  Speaking of which, I wish I would have had captured this on video.  Wasn't so terribly surprised at getting the kill, but more so surprised at the sheer distance from where I took the shot.  but as my old pappy would say, it's all about elevation and windage

• Upvote 2