Falling in the ice

Rubberduckkiller

In terms of realism, I think that would very nearly always be a fatal nightmare.  It's very difficult to crawl out of a hole in thin ice... the ice is constantly breaking along the edge we are trying to use to hoist oneself up on, we're literally freezing death and core temperatures plummet causing a rapid decent into deep hypothermia. 

The only thing I could think of that would remain consistent with the rest of the game's mechanics might be to turn it into a struggle mechanic to climb back up onto the ice again.  

Frankly though, I'm fine with the system the way it is.  I think if folks had to "struggle" to get out of the water... I think fewer would risk the ice, which would also nearly destroy the risk/reward of Beachcombing.  With that in mind... I like beachcombing, and I think making that riskier than it already is might be a mistake.

:coffee::fire:
It's an interesting idea, and I generally like things that make life harder for our survivor... but I also like to consider second order effects on the gameplay as a whole.

Edited by ManicManiac

The long dark is minimized game that doesn’t need any thing like that. Also manic maniac is right some of the spots where you can fall in the ice is pretty much a death sentence. I mean the stagnant water of forlorn musk wouldn’t be as long as you don’t go into shock, stay calm and know what your doing, but the ice fat from shore there’s no way if you get pushed even a little bit under the ice sheet by the current that you will never get back to where you were and the moving river at bleak inlet would be a death trap.

• Upvote 1

I think that the hypothermia risk and wet clothing are punishment enough. I know Hinterland strives for realism where they can, but this would be brutal. I think that having the afflictions that you get whilst falling into freezing water(which are NOT forgiving) are enough. There could be, however, an option to give more afflictions like bacterial infection or whatnot for falling in stagnant water. In real life, it's a risk.  I don't expect a video game to simulate real life, nor does Hinterland.

However, I do agree with the premise of a struggle to get out. Much like rope climbing but much, much faster to lose stamina(such a funny word to say out loud 20x). That would make it realistic, especially if there were a modifier for what particular tools you had available.

Edit: to clarify: when people fall in freezing water, they tend to gasp for air immediately. This can result in swallowing water, which may contain infectious bacteria.

Edited by wilsonaka
clarification

1 hour ago, wilsonaka said:

I think that the hypothermia risk and wet clothing are punishment enough.

2 hours ago, RegentRelic said:

The long dark is minimized game that doesn’t need any thing like that.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
All things considered, I agree. :)

Edited by ManicManiac