Fearless Navigator broken under proton on linux

stratvox

Fearless Navigator is broken as in the title.

@jeffpeng have you tried it yet? I'm wondering if the breakage is something about my system or is more general.

It appears to be having problems with the "intro_cards.mp4" file:

WindowsVideoMedia error 0x80004001 while reading Z:\home\jack\.local\share\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\tld_Data\StreamingAssets\Video\Windows\intro_cards.mp4

Context: MFCreateSourceReaderFromMediaSource
Error details: <Empty>
Track types:

(Filename:  Line: 2847)

Hinterland support got right back to me (thanks guys!) but I suspect their answer indicates they didn't quite realise what the runtime environment is.

Cheers!

18 hours ago, stratvox said:

Fearless Navigator is broken as in the title

It appears to be having problems with the "intro_cards.mp4" file:

Hi,

I have the same issue. Deleting/renaming said mp4 is a workaround. However the same error occurs when the game is trying to play an mp4, like when you start a wintermute episode. I suspect this would also work: https://github.com/z0z0z/mf-install , but I haven't tried.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, zfp said:

Hi,

I have the same issue. Deleting/renaming said mp4 is a workaround. However the same error occurs when the game is trying to play an mp4, like when you start a wintermute episode. I suspect this would also work: https://github.com/z0z0z/mf-install , but I haven't tried.

That completely worked!

Here's what I had to do:

mkdir ~/src

cd ~/src

git clone git@github.com:z0z0z/mf-install.git

WINEPREFIX="/home/<uid>/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/305620/pfx" PROTON="/home/<uid>/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton 5.0" ./mf-install.sh -proton

This installs the fix you mention into the various right places for it to work.

Furthermore, due to a known bug in wine wrt microsoft's media implementation I had to restrict the number of cores the game will run on. I did this by inserting the following in the "Set Launch Options" field on the game in Steam: "taskset -c 1-8 %command%"

However, I need to do that because I have more than eight cores in this machine and the media stuff cacks out when you have too many cores. If you're not running on a sixteen core processor you won't need to do this.

Thanks a lot for the pointer, @zfp! It is working now! Much appreciated!

Edited by stratvox
  • Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng
On 5/20/2020 at 2:15 PM, stratvox said:

have you tried it yet?

No I haven't. As my TLD under Wine/Proton is stuttering itself to death at some point I resorted to playing under Windows for some time.

On 5/21/2020 at 7:33 PM, stratvox said:

However, I need to do that because I have more than eight cores in this machine and the media stuff cacks out when you have too many cores. If you're not running on a sixteen core processor you won't need to do this.

Considering how most modern processors that exceed 4 cores also have SMT, you'd run into this problem with something very mundane like a Ryzen 1600. But interesting to know about this bug.

Edit: So you might still be right. This I dug from the Github

I can also confirm for Borderlands 3 on Gentoo Linux with mf-install and mf-installcab workarounds applied.
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X (12 cores, 24 threads)
Kernel: 5.6.3
working: taskset -c 0-15
not working: taskset -c 0-16

Which would mean that CPUs with 16 threads are fine, CPUs with more than 16 require this workaround. Then again 16 threads really is plenty for every game I can think of. But good to know. So far I've only experienced some Java applications going nuts when being confronted with more than 16 threads. Curious.

Edited by jeffpeng

I can add to this now. This morning I ran the upgrade from Ubuntu 19.10 to 20.04. The stuttering issues went away completely; it was a nice nice change to see this back at full framerate (which for me is 60fps; no point in more frames than my monitor can do at 4k); I'm guessing that there's been an update to the media libraries in the upgrade that made this problem go away. My next test is to take out the taskset command in my command line and see if it's busted or not....

...and the answer is no. You still need taskset -c 0-15 %command% in your steam launch command for the game to be able to run.

I heard back from the proton/wine folks; they are looking forward to addressing the issues with some of the multimedia stuff when they get to it, which is to say they have bigger fish to fry than that right now. 🐟

ETA: @jeffpeng Yeah, I'd accounted for the difference between thread count and core count when I made that comment. At any rate, I can tell you that with the upgrade on my system to 20.04 (plus oibaf for very up to date mesa plus ukuu so I'm running 5.6.15-050615-generic), the game is performing like it should once again.

Oh, and the upgrade (19.10->20.04) was about as painless as it could possibly be.

Edited by stratvox

Guest jeffpeng

Hm. Well. I wanted to rebuild my Gentoo anyways. It's always a bit of an undertaking .... to do the enitre roll, but hey - that's what penguins do, riiiight ^^

On 5/21/2020 at 7:33 PM, stratvox said:

That completely worked!

Here's what I had to do:

mkdir ~/src

cd ~/src

git clone git@github.com:z0z0z/mf-install.git

WINEPREFIX="/home/<uid>/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/305620/pfx" PROTON="/home/<uid>/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton 5.0" ./mf-install.sh -proton

This installs the fix you mention into the various right places for it to work.

Furthermore, due to a known bug in wine wrt microsoft's media implementation I had to restrict the number of cores the game will run on. I did this by inserting the following in the "Set Launch Options" field on the game in Steam: "taskset -c 1-8 %command%"

Thanks a lot for the pointer, @zfp! It is working now! Much appreciated!

This worked for me as well. You're a lifesaver, thanks a ton!

3 hours ago, Traches said:

This worked for me as well. You're a lifesaver, thanks a ton!

I should add that you can go all the way up to "taskset -c 0-15" as mentioned in @jeffpeng's post; whether that number represents cores or threads depends on whether you have hyperthreading available and turned on on your cpu. My machine's a sixteen core 32 thread machine, so 0-15 works, 0-16 does not. Also note that if you want it doesn't have to start at zero; "taskset -c 1-16" will work just fine.

I'd also like to add that I upgraded to Ubuntu 20.04 over the weekend, and it resulted in a major performance improvement, which says that there are libraries going on in there that have seen significant improvements between 19.04 with all fixes and 20.04. Worth looking into... if you happen to be running Ubuntu

Edited by stratvox
clarity

21 hours ago, stratvox said:

I should add that you can go all the way up to "taskset -c 0-15" as mentioned in @jeffpeng's post; whether that number represents cores or threads depends on whether you have hyperthreading available and turned on on your cpu. My machine's a sixteen core 32 thread machine, so 0-15 works, 0-16 does not. Also note that if you want it doesn't have to start at zero; "taskset -c 1-16" will work just fine.

I'd also like to add that I upgraded to Ubuntu 20.04 over the weekend, and it resulted in a major performance improvement, which says that there are libraries going on in there that have seen significant improvements between 19.04 with all fixes and 20.04. Worth looking into... if you happen to be running Ubuntu

Thanks! I'm at 6 cores + hyperthreading, so 0-11 works for me. Appreciate the upgrade tip, but I'm on Arch and compulsively update several times a day... It's a bad habit. Performance has been good when the game runs. 

Guest jeffpeng
On 6/3/2020 at 12:01 PM, Traches said:

Arch and compulsively update several times a day...

Ha. And I am on Gentoo and upgrade 4 times a year at most 😄

On 5/30/2020 at 5:10 PM, stratvox said:

I heard back from the proton/wine folks; they are looking forward to addressing the issues with some of the multimedia stuff when they get to it, which is to say they have bigger fish to fry than that right now. 🐟

Hi,

Have you tried Glorious Eggroll's custom Proton build? It's usually ahead of the official build in fixes/features.