binoculars

thedeerhunter

This has been discussed many times and in many different ways in the past, so I will just echo what I've mentioned before:

On 6/9/2019 at 1:39 AM, ManicManiac said:

Binoculars: I don't really see much need for them in this game... I always try to express that a sense of vulnerability is part of the flavor of this game.  I would hate to ever feel like I was really safe.  I rather like it as it is... you have to travel cautiously and move deliberately.  Being able to spot danger easier, instead of keeping your wits about you would take something away from this game that I would very much like to keep.

On 5/7/2020 at 11:13 PM, ManicManiac said:

No thank you, I don't think there's a need for scopes in this game at all.

It's very much in the same way I think there is no need for binoculars; I don't think they are necessary and I think they would make things too easy for the player.  I'm very rarely in favor of anything that I think makes the game easier for the player.

On 6/9/2019 at 2:13 AM, ManicManiac said:

So then back to Binoculars... once again that feeling of vulnerability, I think is part of the heart of this game... and getting turned around and lost is a part of that.  Now those of us who have play enough on each map - it's nearly impossible for them to get lost nowadays. But still, some of the best moments in the game for me were getting lost and having to get creative in how to orient myself and get my bearings.  We don't need binoculars for that :)  Use sun rise and sun set... you can see pretty much any land mark from most distances as long as you have a line of sight.  Binoculars won't really help with any of that.  A lot of the fun for me has always been exploring... and being able to scout from a distance... while perhaps handy, would take away from some of the danger of traveling and I wouldn't be in favor of that.

:coffee::fire: