Bunker randomization?

piddy3825

Curious about the mechanics behind bunker spawns for both ML and PV regions.

I recently discovered the food bunker in ML although I wasn't looking for it. Turns out you can see the hatch from the train loading area if the weather conditions are favorable.  Having found it so fortuitously I decided to seek the bunker in PV.  

After trekking to PV and scouring the area for days I finally discovered the randomly spawning bunker up on Skeeter's Ridge, within view of the burned down house with the exterior accessible basement.   Turns out it was an exact duplicate of the food bunker in ML.   Needless to say, I was pleased to have found it but more so was entirely disappointed that it was merely the same thing.    

Are these random spawning bunkers always the same in both areas?  or is it just a fluke that both were identical.  I was hoping on something different from one area to the next, or is this just how these bunker spawns work?

Guest Paphalophagus

Every time you start a new game one bunker in ML is randomly spawned; out of 9 possible spawn locations.

That used to be the same in PV but ever since the Ep. 3 release, it seems there no longer is randomly spawned bunkers. It now looks like the bunker near Skeeter's Ridge and the bunker near the rope to TWM now always spawn.

That could be a bug introduced with the EP. 3 release and it is possible that it will be fixed in future updates, but that's just speculation.

Edited by Paphalophagus

2 hours ago, Paphalophagus said:

Every time you start a new game one bunker in ML is randomly spawned; out of 9 possible spawn locations.

That used to be the same in PV but ever since the Ep. 3 release, it seems there no longer is randomly spawned bunkers. It now looks like the bunker near Skeeter's Ridge and the bunker near the rope to TWM now always spawn.

That could be a bug introduced with the EP. 3 release and it is possible that it will be fixed in future updates, but that's just speculation.

Well, it looks like you are correct.  I decided to see if I could validate your statement, so I launched a new PV sandbox and made a bee line for Skeeter's Ridge.  Hatch right where it was supposed to be.  Food cache as well.   Had a flashlight in it, which wasn't there in either cache in my last walk through.  I didnt bother trekking to ML to see if the food hatch popped up over there in it's usual spot but I probably will sooner or later.

on the bright side of all this, If they dont fix this glitch anytime soon, then at least we all know where we can find a guaranteed prepper's cache full of food, water, stims etc.  Especially considering the close proximity of the downed charter flight's wreckage just on the other side of the hill there's enough supplies to loot from the aircraft, the basement by the burned out house and the bunker to keep a player alive for quite some time.  

Guest Paphalophagus
15 hours ago, Serenity said:

That one was never one of the random locations.

Correct. I didn't think I was implying it was. Sorry if I misrepresented myself.

@Paphalophagus, just wanted to let you know, I did finally trek to ML and  the bunker typically visible by the Tram was not there.  (it was food bunker in my last sandbox)  I also  checked a couple of other spots known for spawning bunkers but could not find any.  Will continue my search efforts as I am curious as to what I will discover.

Guest Paphalophagus

@piddy3825, Yea, ML still does the bunker spawn randomization. It's just PV that no longer does it, or at least currently.

Like I said, I half way expect that to be fixed in a future update, but I could be wrong.

4 hours ago, Paphalophagus said:

@piddy3825, Yea, ML still does the bunker spawn randomization. It's just PV that no longer does it, or at least currently.

Like I said, I half way expect that to be fixed in a future update, but I could be wrong.

yeah, I was just checking cause I ended up finding the food bunker in ML first in my last sandbox.  I the went to PV and of course found the food bunker again on skeeter's ridge.  This duplicate bunkering has only happened to me once before when I found the hunters bunker in ML and then found the hunters bunker in PV.  Having found both bunkers and being duplicates at that, was a bonus of course considering I now had 4 extra rifles... lol  

I was glad to see that randomization was still taking place in ML regardless that PV is stuck spawning the same bunker over and over for now.  Thanks again for the heads up!

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm...yeah, PV has been static for me since Ep3, but so has ML (at least in the last 3-4 playthroughs).  Based upon what you guys are seeing, guess I was just "lucky" to have it spawn in the same spot.

Edited by hozz1235