Start Location Selection

dbmurph22

I think I would prefer some additional choice ability with choosing your start locations or maybe just some bugs need worked out at minimum.

In Interloper I know you don't get a choice and there's only a certain set of regions you can spawn at, though a player can stop and restart until they get the one they are shooting for.  But on this issue I feel less strongly - maybe even divided.

But for other modes it would be nice to have maybe even start location settings within the region be available to select from, or a random one.  That would allow for some additional customizing.  Or maybe just in custom mode?

The start location bugs in custom are a little tough to take.  First you start at the Milton crash more often than not.  And also for Broken Railroad it seems you can ONLY (I guess a bug) start at the BR-FM transition, which was the worst of the starts anyway.  Not really that compelling a start location.

Just got me thinking how nice it would be to have a bit more independence with that as a whole, in certain situations.

EDIT: I had described start locations as "spawn" locations which isn't their typical phrasing of the community and creates confusion with item spawn talk.  So, corrected.  A bit tired today.

Edited by dbmurph22
  • Upvote 1

• dbmurph22 changed the title to Start Location Selection
On 4/7/2020 at 11:36 PM, dbmurph22 said:

The start location bugs in custom are a little tough to take.

Bugs?  I don't experience the kinds of things you're describing.  As far as I know each region has a set of potential spawn locations for players to start from when the run begins.  Since they are psudo-random (I mention that because "random number generation" isn't truly random... but in truth just seemingly random to us "biologicals") it is possible through chance/coincidence that it can drop us in the same spot more than once... or even potentially several times  (that doesn't necessarily mean it's bugged... just a bit of "bad luck," so to speak).  However... if it truly is 100% of the time for you, I'd recommend submitting a ticket on their support portal.

As for the rest of your post.

I'm not sure how specific you are trying to get...  If you mean that you'd like to be able to say, choose to spawn in the Camp Office of Mystery Lake... then I'd have to say that I'm not in favor of us being able to choose exactly where we would start a run.  I think that a certain level of "randomness" is part of what I like so much about starting every new run.  Currently (for most difficulty settings) we can choose the region we spawn in... and that is as specific as I think it should ever be.  I like the idea that I never know exactly where I'll "wake up" when starting a run, and it's an aspect I really enjoy.  I'd rather not be able to choose the precise spot where a run will start.

:coffee::fire:
Part of what I love about the game is the struggle... and facing the challenges of unknown circumstances.

Edited by ManicManiac

The frustration was that I always knew where I would be waking up when I chose Broken Railroad from the custom game setting.  18/18 times (I didnt test further) I started at the rail tunnel just by the Muskeg exit.  So that "never know" sentiment wasn't happening in this situation.  I know there are a couple more starting spots say if you do a regular stalker start or something so I didn't know if it was a bug (or streamlining? if you don't like that term) for the custom.  I may submit a ticket.  Thanks for the suggestion.

It got me thinking about having more choice as a possible game suggestion.  I dont hate it as is in most cases now but if you did that you could always just choose random to get the same effect that you (and usually myself and many others) enjoy.  Oh and in terms of specificity I was only thinking in terms of having a drop down or something for the starting points they already have in play (not anywhere on the map)(...though they could always add a few more if they went this direction :)) Thanks for responding.

Edited by dbmurph22