More indoor wolves

Tactical Ex

There are already several instances of wolves spawning indoors so let us ignore what we currently know for the moment.

I have traversed nearly every location in my current game and have run across several places with partially broken exteriors. When initially playing I recon-ed  the entire outside to see if i could find alternative entrances but I know there is little need for that behavior anymore BUT I thought it might be interesting if, just as we have some locations where dwellings can spawn intact or broken down, ... why not also have random wolf spawn for indoor locations as well? One caveat I would like to state for this feature would be that the chance this would happen is 0% if there is no external damage to the dwelling. By doing this the player would have to examine the dwelling before entering or run a risk of a fluffy-esc encounter. 

While I'm in favor of adding a couple more fluffies across the world's caves I see very few means of defending oneself in an indoor location where you can't make a campfire and some further issues with wolves jumping you unannounced from behind a doorpost in houses where there are multiple rooms. Would however be in favor of wolves accessing more of the open wooden structures, perhaps excluding the forge at Spence's. Applying the same logic to caves, are you suggesting that regular wolves occasionally inhabit random caves with loading screens? 

38 minutes ago, manolitode said:

While I'm in favor of adding a couple more fluffies across the world's caves I see very few means of defending oneself in an indoor location where you can't make a campfire 

I think the fact that you cannot defend yourself is the risk aspect of the risk/reward system that would be introduced here. In the early game, we have no way of defending against a wolf but we're OK with that in that moment. Part of the way I envision this allows the player to mitigate the risk by not just NOT entering a dwelling with external damage (broken window, missing wall or door section) without, say, ... a revolver, which would be suitable for close quarters. I don't think I'd keep wolf behavior the same indoors either; I think you'd probably expect some audible queues which I would expect quell any fears of being "unexpected" jumped by a wolf hiding around the corner. 

42 minutes ago, manolitode said:

Applying the same logic to caves, are you suggesting that regular wolves occasionally inhabit random caves with loading screens? 

Yes, but maybe not "regular wolves" since I expect indoor behavior to me modified a bit if this were to be implemented. A perfect example which helped spawn this idea in my head is the broken door at the Cinder Hills mine entrance in PV. There is a huge hole in the door and my first thought was "Looks like something pushed it's way in before me."

3 hours ago, Tactical Ex said:

Yes, but maybe not "regular wolves" since I expect indoor behavior to me modified a bit if this were to be implemented. A perfect example which helped spawn this idea in my head is the broken door at the Cinder Hills mine entrance in PV. There is a huge hole in the door and my first thought was "Looks like something pushed it's way in before me."

Cinder Hills is a good example, I too didn't know what to expect at first. But we already have wolves in caves, why draw the line there at wolves when there could be deer and bear-sized holes.

Did you come across any house-like structures that could be open to intruders? Looking for specifics to get an idea what impact it would have on the game as a whole. If there are a couple of locations, I'd be tempted to see this implemented. If it's 50 you're remodeling the game's genes 😋 A location that comes to mind is Carter's lower entrance. I suppose wolves could be motivated to cross the ledge for that dear carcass and go on through the window. Though I suspect the community won't shout 'horray' if Fluffy jump right back inside the dam. 

3 hours ago, Tactical Ex said:

I don't think I'd keep wolf behavior the same indoors either; I think you'd probably expect some audible queues which I would expect quell any fears of being "unexpected" jumped by a wolf hiding around the corner. 

To be fair you should get to know the wolf's presence at entry and get a few seconds to assess the situation. A revolver or flare gun might make the fight quick but on the hardest difficulty you'll be slow with the bow. 

On 2/25/2020 at 5:26 PM, Tactical Ex said:

why not also have random wolf spawn for indoor locations as well?

There isn't anything to eat for wolves. So wolves might briefly visit indoors to look what is going on but return outside as soon as they realise: "no food here" "Must go back".

3 minutes ago, Makex said:

There isn't anything to eat for wolves. So wolves might briefly visit indoors to look what is going on but return outside as soon as they realise: "no food here" "Must go back".

True, but, food isn't the only motivation. Weather and other needs like sleep are also factors for entering and finding refuge in an indoor location. I had a raccoon in my attic once and he didn't go there to eat (though he did chew some wires....). You do bring up a bit of a twist that might be employed in this scenario, though ... maybe chances to encounter a wolf indoors increases at certain time of the day?

9 hours ago, Tactical Ex said:

True, but, food isn't the only motivation. Weather and other needs like sleep are also factors for entering and finding refuge in an indoor location. I had a raccoon in my attic once and he didn't go there to eat (though he did chew some wires....). You do bring up a bit of a twist that might be employed in this scenario, though ... maybe chances to encounter a wolf indoors increases at certain time of the day?

I'm not a biggest fan of wolves in this game and after introdusing timberwolfs i think there is enough wolves around already. Meaby HRV caves you could see wolves more often but something like farnhouse in Pleasant Valley, no.