Can’t go in and out of doors without Gwen

dahemac

I made it off the mountain to a small cottage with Gwen, who I cannot put warmer clothes on for some reason. I put her down on the bed nearly frozen to death. “I had better go outside and collect firewood so I can build a fire and warm her up,” thought I. “Oh no!” said the game. During that mission you cannot use a door without carrying Gwen. So, I had to take this poor girl from the relatively warm bed, outside and put her, somewhat ridiculously, down on a porch railing in the cold while I went to get wood to start a fire. This looked nuts, and made no sense. It was immersion breaking. And I cannot figure out why I should not be able to leave her to warm up somewhere safe while I go risk my life to collect supplies.

The restriction is arbitrary and weird. When I was nursing Gwen in the cave near the crash site I did not have this problem, because there was no door. I came and went maintaining the fire and collecting supplies while she recovered to 100%. That made sense.

Someone took the time to write the code that makes this happen. Someone in game design presented, “doors won’t work unless you are carrying the person you are supposed to be helping, out into danger and cold.” And no one in the meeting asked how that was a reasonable restriction? I fail to see how being able to leave her somewhere safe would undermine the mission to take her back to the church. It would be nice if you would fix this.

• 5 weeks later...

I was surprised of the mechanic as well. Maybe Gwen was under such condition, she would freak out when left alone. :D But mostly I dont understand this: The game has mechanism to calculate bleeding shot animals when you go inside. AFAIK when you go inside, you are no longer on the region map and the bleed recalculation is done when you enter the region again (going out from indoor). Coulnd it be used for Gwen and other survivors?