Spawn mechanics for the 'rarer' or less common animals?

past caring

Apologies if this has been covered - I'm a relatively new player and I have looked but found nothing.

I am after obtaining a moose hide satchel - for obvious reasons, given the benefits. But first I need to kill a moose.....

I've not been able to locate one in either of the two possible locations that I know about in Mountain Town. Which then has got me wondering about the spawn mechanics for less common animals such as the bear and the moose. Is it the case that the 'dice roll' for moose is done just once at the beginning of a new game? And if so, is this done just for the start map or for all maps in the game? Or is it that there is a dice roll every time you visit a possible spawn location? Another possibility would be that there is a dice roll at the start of the game for a particular map, but there is then another dice roll if you leave that map and then return to it.

Does anyone know how it works? Will leaving Mountain Town and coming back a week or two later increase the chances of a moose spawning? Or is it that if there's no moose now, there never will be one in my current game?

Thanks for any help....

1 hour ago, past caring said:

Apologies if this has been covered - I'm a relatively new player and I have looked but found nothing.

I am after obtaining a moose hide satchel - for obvious reasons, given the benefits. But first I need to kill a moose.....

I've not been able to locate one in either of the two possible locations that I know about in Mountain Town. Which then has got me wondering about the spawn mechanics for less common animals such as the bear and the moose. Is it the case that the 'dice roll' for moose is done just once at the beginning of a new game? And if so, is this done just for the start map or for all maps in the game? Or is it that there is a dice roll every time you visit a possible spawn location? Another possibility would be that there is a dice roll at the start of the game for a particular map, but there is then another dice roll if you leave that map and then return to it.

Does anyone know how it works? Will leaving Mountain Town and coming back a week or two later increase the chances of a moose spawning? Or is it that if there's no moose now, there never will be one in my current game?

Thanks for any help....

I believe the game initially sets possible spawn points for moose at the start of the game (designated by the scrapings on the trees).  If there are scrapings, then a moose can spawn in that spot.  If no scrapings, moose will never spawn there.  Then I think it is a dice roll each time you visit the area.  For example, I've had a moose spawn by the hunting lodge and then not be there the next time I visited the area even though I did not kill it or leave the region at all and then come back a week later.

35 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I believe the game initially sets possible spawn points for moose at the start of the game (designated by the scrapings on the trees).  If there are scrapings, then a moose can spawn in that spot.  If no scrapings, moose will never spawn there.  Then I think it is a dice roll each time you visit the area.  For example, I've had a moose spawn by the hunting lodge and then not be there the next time I visited the area even though I did not kill it or leave the region at all and then come back a week later.

That makes sense because I think (only think, mind - this isn't definite) I've noticed the same as you but in reverse - i.e. no moose the first 5 or 6 times I've been to a location and then it pops up the next time.

Also - and I am sure of this - in my current game the two possible spawn areas in Mountain Town have only one tree with scrapings in each location. Whereas, in the two more recent games where the moose spawned there were far more trees with scrapings. So I wonder if the number of scrapings signifies anything?

1 hour ago, past caring said:

That makes sense because I think (only think, mind - this isn't definite) I've noticed the same as you but in reverse - i.e. no moose the first 5 or 6 times I've been to a location and then it pops up the next time.

Also - and I am sure of this - in my current game the two possible spawn areas in Mountain Town have only one tree with scrapings in each location. Whereas, in the two more recent games where the moose spawned there were far more trees with scrapings. So I wonder if the number of scrapings signifies anything?

All that I've noticed is that moose only spawn if the scrapings are there.  If you start a game and that location spawns without any scrapings, they don't appear later in the game and a moose never spawns in that location.  If you have scrapings, there is no guarantee a moose has spawned there every time you go through the location.

Now, I say that with a bit of a caution... the longest I've played a single run is 500 days as I have my characters habitually jump from TWM on the 500th day (if they survive that long).  I just don't have any desire to take a single run longer than that, so if things change or reset after that point, I wouldnt know.