Does a fire scare off a wolf

Maikleeps

I read in the forum that starting a fire keeps the wolf away. In my case it worked. But I'm not sure if it only worked due to the fire or because the wolf could not access the fence I was behind (which is the entrance to a house), see screenshot. The wolf constantly ran against the wooden barrier. If the fire keeps wolves away I expected it to be more far away than that :) Or is it a bug?

screen_06498942-06c3-419b-84a8-3cf3ae9d7

Fire should scare of the wolves but there are some instances where it won't apparently. I also always made my fire standing just behind the railing but when the wolves can't get to you they go berserk and just ignore the fire. Not entirely sure but I believe this was one of the things that will be addressed already.

As previously stated, if the wolf goes into attack mode while you're lighting that fire, it'll ignore the fire since fire wasn't up when it initiated combat.

Wolves currently (subject to change?) do not enter buildings. Fluffy got in there by falling in.

I read in the forum that starting a fire keeps the wolf away. In my case it worked. But I'm not sure if it only worked due to the fire or because the wolf could not access the fence I was behind (which is the entrance to a house), see screenshot. The wolf constantly ran against the wooden barrier. If the fire keeps wolves away I expected it to be more far away than that :) Or is it a bug?

the same happens when you're inside the ice fishing huts, it's like the sense your presence but can't really find you

but when you're just out in the open, the wolves should just stop outside the circle of light coming from the fire or flare

• 2 weeks later...
I think there must be some kind of "fear index" that gets affected by fire. I had a wolf come up to the circle of light around my fire and sit there growling. When I pulled out my rifle he gave out a "yip" and ran away.

that's caused by the fire, if you wait long enough if they're growling they'll run away scared regardless of what you do

Archived