Clothing damage in shelter during blizzards

Stone

Hey everybody! Catchy post title ehy!? A question for the TDL researchers amongst us: blizzards are billed as damaging to clothing condition - anyone know how wind-protection shelter affects this? In context, I'm wondering if a nook (not a cave) has a spot protected enough to shelter a fire from a blizzard, does that keep your clothing safe too? Thanks in advance for any shared wisdom.

yep, it sure does, at least I am fairly certain of it. Hard to test these as the general condition tear is never really that high for the time spent in the weather.

But I am pretty sure that wind in general has something to do with the outside condition deteoration for clothes. So, if you find a wind-sheltered area, the condition deterioration should drop from the "blizzard" to "regular time spent outside" level of deterioration.

Hmm... I wonder if the snow shelter durability is also affected by blizzards. I always found their decay rate to vary from spot to spot, one of the reasons I've always dismantled them as soon as I was ready to leave their vicinity. 

13 hours ago, Stone said:

It's a good question @Dan_. I'm interested if an 'open' yet sheltered base camp is viable. It seems that, even if a place had a safe fire, if blizzard damage wrecks clothes, and snow shelters, it might be a non starter..

I think there might be a way to test this at three way cave in TWM: Build one snow shelter inside the cave and another one outside the cave "ceiling" and compare their decay rates after a few days. I'll give this a go to see how do they fare.

It's harder to test clothing this way, since it's pretty much impossible to control the weather but I'll dig into it. 

Archived