Make Old Man's Beard Lichen Flammable

Thebrat

So i recently went on the Wiki page for Old Man's Beard Lichen and its name is Usnea. Apparently its very flammable when dried and can be used as a firestarter so i was thinking what if making it into tinder? Say 2 Liches make 3 Tinder plugs

And speaking of Tinder, what about when you have level 3 firestarting and tinder is no longer required, what if instead making all tinder in the game obsolete it would add a +5% starting bonus ONLY if you have level 3 firestarting+ . Otherwise people just forget about tinder past like day 30 when they get lvl 3 fires

Capture.PNG

51 minutes ago, Thebrat said:

So i recently went on the Wiki page for Old Man's Beard Lichen and its name is Usnea. Apparently its very flammable when dried and can be used as a firestarter so i was thinking what if making it into tinder? Say 2 Liches make 3 Tinder plugs

And speaking of Tinder, what about when you have level 3 firestarting and tinder is no longer required, what if instead making all tinder in the game obsolete it would add a +5% starting bonus ONLY if you have level 3 firestarting+ . Otherwise people just forget about tinder past like day 30 when they get lvl 3 fires

Capture.PNG

1/ I guess you'd also have to provide the drying time, right? several days?

2/ Interloping, maybe you're not likely to get near Fire3 that quickly if you use matches wisely.

3/ Not so sure about it, but I guess it's been told about having a true survival firestarting using birch barks. I'm personnaly in for {birch+stick+curedgut} combo, each attempt consumes a stick. Or maybe replace the stick for arrow shaft and make it decay 5% with each attempt.

I think Old Man's Beard is rare enough in the game that I'd always use it as a dressing before I'd start burning it up as tinder.  I also like to leave it hanging in the trees where I can since it quite frequently is pointing the way to a cave or other such shelter.

We already have a lot of tinder sources (cat tail heads, all forms of newsprint that can be harvested to make double or more the amount of tinder plugs, birch bark, and cardboard).  You also get some tinder when you cut up tree limbs and you can even make tinder plugs from sticks.  Having tinder has never been an issue for me at any level... running out of wood has, on occasion, been a problem.  I would rather see them change it so that we can burn tinder.  Sure, each piece would not add a long time to the fire, but at least it could be enough to prevent a pot of water from pausing just before it boils if the player has exhausted all their available wood supply.

Archived