Bullet-proof wolves? Gear lost due to encumbrance?

Katastropos

Hi, I started playing this beautiful game two weeks ago, and after completing the two episodes of Wintermute and two failed attepts at Voyager survival mode... but in Pleasant Valley with none previous map knowledge... OK, in reality all was because silly choices I made, such as forget my sleepbag and only realize after climb that 2 rope cliff, then night comes, then a blizzard comes.. And the second one was going well: managed to kill my first bear, get a expedition parka, but somehow I managed to fuck all up when I was gathering the meat and need to stay in the barn because the horrid climate. I ran outside to "micromanage" the fire so I can boil a tea to recover my awful condition, just a stick so I pick up one, turn around to go back but... a wolf? 4 meters away? how...? Oh, well. 

Sorry, this post is not about my sad gameplay stories, its about a few things that happened in my games. I just googled and, as opposed as I was thinking, cannot find any mentions about them whether in the wiki nor in another site: 

-During Wintermute ep 2, at night, in the lake I encounter a wolf who start to stalking me. I shoot it and hit, but it give off sparks -yes, sparks- and ran away. Then, I encounter the same wolf minutes later, shoot it again, hit succesfully and... sparks again! No aurora, no green aurora-imbued wolf. Never found a carcass. The sparks are that, sparks, brighty and obvious. It is hard to think about that as a some kind of bug, rendering the blood animation as a... sparks, and maybe the wolf bled out far away and I never found it, but it seems more like a bulletproof-wolf deliverated kind of thing.  o.O

-This happened two times trough Wintermute: Will seems to have dropped small amounts of gear when encumbered. The first time I noticed I missed some raw guts I gathered from rabbits in ep 1, and after searching everywhere in Grey Mother's house with no avail, I found it laying on the floor some meters away from the entrance. I was emcumbered during my way back the night before, so I asumme that was a game mechanic: carrying weight above  the limit entails the risk of lose gear in the way, in addition to the slowness. It makes perfect sense, and the second time it happens was during ep 2, can´t remember where exactly, when I loss a handful of rose hips. I made my way back, and there are it, all over the floor. Of course, since that I never walk more than a couple steps across well knowed routes when encumbered, because the paranoia of lose meds or any of the useful tiny gear (makes the most sense these kind of things being the most succeptible to let drop by accident).

-Third thing, and this seems likely to be a bug: In survival mode, my first adventure was ended by my very silly decision of sleep in a car when the temperature was negative in there. I receive the warnings of the hypothermia risk, then the hypotermia affection and then I vanish in the long dark. All of that as the time of sleep was going on. Very sad picture, how a man's efforts for survive ended in an eternal sleep in a frozen car seat. But during my second survival game, I attempt for sleep in a cave next to a fire that will extinguish much soon than  my set up wake up time. Then, as the temperature was going too low, a message pop advicing me that I woke up because I was freezing. So... That's not what should have been happened in the car? Or was interpreted as suicide since temperature was too low at the very start of the sleep?

That's all. Hope somebody at the team can clarify this things, or another fellow player can tell if had a similar experience. 

Don't know about the bullet proof wolf but for the freezing in the car, the UI informed you that it was freezing and when you clicked sleep you accepted that it was freezing thus ignoring the information that was provided to you. In the cave it was not freezing and thus you woke up when the temperature went negative. 

Pilgrim and Voyager will wake you up if you start to freeze when sleeping but Stalker and Interloper won't. So just get into the practice of not sleeping for long periods unless you have a good fire that will burn the entire time you sleep. 

Archived