Art history and TLD

The art style of The Long Dark is very Canadian, and has always spoken to me on a deep cultural level, in part because of the nods to Canadian art history, in particular to the Group of Seven, as well as Emily Carr. The mountains and ice, while more "realist" than these pictures, are clearly inspired by Lawren Harris:

lawrenharrisMountain2.thumb.jpg.8fb1246829eae584c16a33545df27718.jpg

This doesn't look like anything on TWM at all, now does it?

LawrenHarrisMountain.thumb.jpg.e423fca4ac51dcfa7c44bc8189e522b9.jpg

Wouldn't look out of place on the horizon in ML.

lawrenharrisiceberg.thumb.jpg.103ca9047efd1c196c1f76442e531dd9.jpg

I'm hoping that we'll see something like this in a future coastal region. At the same time, when you look at the locations in the world where you can see ice piled up on the shoreline, the ancestry of how it looks is pretty obvious.

Emily Carr's famous painting "Indian Church" clearly inspired a particular building in Milton:

EmilyCarrIndianChurch.thumb.jpg.5cbc63226a4503b7e6c666d0f991bbfb.jpg

Emily Carr's art strikes me as the likeliest inspiration for how the trees in the game look:

carr-emily-Mountain-Forest.thumb.jpg.0cb966246b79c36df972f15b36cdca46.jpg

I'd like to recommend anyone who's interested in the art style of TLD to go check out that first link I posted to the Group of Seven. 

My pleasure :) I know that Raph has talked about the Canadian art inspirations for TLD in the past, so I thought I'd pass some of that art history on to the non-Canadians who play the game. All that stuff dates from the first two or three decades of the 20th century. You can go look at pics of a LOT of the Group of Seven's output in the first link in my post... lots of beautiful pics in there.

• 2 weeks later...

I see a lot of Tom Thompson's style in TLD.  For example, Paradise Meadows Farm reminded me very much of this scene, which is in Algonquin Park.  Thompson was the founder the Group of Seven.  He lived in Eastern Canada, so his landscapes are of that area; whereas Carr lived in British Columbia.

Thomson,_In_Algonquin_Park.jpg

Archived