FrumpyFurling

Firstly, love the game was unaware of it, then came across it randomly on twitch, aaaaaand now I'm hooked. I will break down a few of the things that I would like to see added as well as some QoL improvements I am aware that most things have technical or balance limitations so I'll try my best to keep those in mind. 

Additions:
(1). A Litter, Travois, Drag or Skid whatever you want to call it, weight is a large concern especially when migrating or returning and you happen upon a moose or deer carcass the ability to construct a litter or drag to accommodate the extra weight. I propose this because well it only makes sense, placing the extra weight say up to 30lbs (13.6kg) OR, 1 Deer, 2 wolves, 1 quartered Moose or Bear on the sled which would be temporary can only be loaded and unloaded maybe 1-2 times before it deteriorates (for say the 1st level of design the "Improvised skid")

Crafting:
2 Branches (or saplings) increase in time and mats for better skids... -> debarked branch
                                 | -> bark becomes kindling
4 Cured leather 
2 Cured deer hide
1 Mountaineering rope
2.5 -ish hours to make
Does NOT increase your carrying capacity, but instead increases movement speed while encumbered, therefor you still suffer the stamina drain and no sprint while sled is attached.

(2). Snowshoes/Cross Country Skis, this has probably been done to death but it bears repeating. The snowshoes are obvious increase movement speed on snow with reduced stamina drain while walking on snow. increased stamina penalty while not on snow etc. etc.

Crafting: 
2 Cured leather
2 Cloth 
8 Sticks
1.5-ish hours to make
increases movement speed on snow, reduces stamina drain on snow, opposite for non-snow surfaces.

The Cross Country Skis would be nice option in between safe houses that as long as you're on snow 3x movement speed. while not in snow 2x movement penalty as well while skis are equipped carry capacity is halved, and wind temperature penalties double. (or a suitable number if double is too much)

Crafting:
2 Branches -> debarked branch
4 Cured leather
4 Cloth
3-ish hours to craft requires work bench hack saw and knife.

(3). A Spear (improvised spear/knife). Used as a DEFENSIVE weapon to keep predators at bay wolves and (the smallest of chances and ONLY when bears rear to hind legs before the charge/and is IMMEDIATELY broken but has a chance to deter) bears. Can be thrust at wild life (LMB) if connects (insert DMG & Bleed stats here)(Has chance to scare off beast insert stat here)
Crafting:
1 Branch -> debarked branch
1 Metal - Forged to -> Spearhead
2 Cured Leather
1 Cured Rabbit Hide 

(or for a lesser spear just a sharpened stick...or if forging mats aren't available Deer antlers)

(4). Buildable Storage. I say this with my safe house littered with guts and hides strewn about....In particular a crafted drying rack for just that guts and hides. effects would be 20%-ish to Curing time any ways just a place where I can consolidate the guts and hides?

Crafting:
1 Branch -> debarked branch
4 Cured Leather
4 Cloth
Once Placed cannot be moved has to be broken down. 

That one was more of a Quality of Life Change anyways so this is a good segue point...
Quality of Life/Immersion:

(1). Regardless of clothing worn hands always shown without gloves and the green jacket and red plaid shirt. I can understand if 1 glove is removed when using rifle or pistol, but still needs to match clothing worn. also maybe a redesign on the Rabbit Mittens to have a trigger finger?
(2). Matches....at least here in the US, a box of matches carries 300 matches...drop the condition on matches and just give them a number and then instead of having 19 (300 capacity boxes) with 12 matches in the box...let me carry 1 box until I get (if I get....) 300 matches THEN generate another box. {Same thing for lantern fuel/igniter as well}  
(3.) Eating/Drinking while moving yes stop to select the action of eat/drink...but you know...I  can do both...
(4.) adjustment to some of the break down times...and Im sure that this has been complained about before but probably for good reason. The rifle...is perfect leave as is. The cleaning kit....well I have the one I was issued while in the service 13 years ago...same thing for the whetstone...I have my grandfathers still, and while I think the hunting knife should dull (absolutely) but break...not so much, in fact, it could dull a lot quicker depending on use when skinning a deer I will have 3-4 knives available because they will dull and that gets to the point maintenance should a thing but the repair tools shouldn't wear at the rate they do. Also...has ANYONE, EVER IRL broken a crowbar (while using appropriately...) same for the hatchet and hammer, they heads will be fine may have to sharpen the blade but the most maintenance would be replacing the wooden handles eventually. 

(I am aware that this last point is mainly for game balance issues, its just a stupid game trope that annoys me in EVERY game that its in...especially the crowbar...looking at you every zombie game ever.) 

Anywho, these are just a few thoughts I had good or bad let me know what you guys think. Happy surviving!! :ph34r:

sled.jpg

A Bear Spear is coming. Don't know whether it needs to be crafted or not yet.

I like your idea of a drying rack very much. I think that'd fit in really well.

The thing about destructible whetstones and rifle kits is that it serves (in gameplay terms) to limit the ultimate amount of use you can out of hatchets, knives and rifles. And I think that's a useful purpose that shouldn't be removed. If whetstones last forever then so do hatchets and knives, and that really would make quite a big difference to how the game works - not necessarily for the better. I would like to see the condition of those tools affect their effectiveness in terms of speed and calories expended to carry out their respective tasks, though - and maybe introduce a chance of cutting yourself if you're using a blunt one.

Just now, Pillock said:

The thing about destructible whetstones and rifle kits is that it serves (in gameplay terms) to limit the ultimate amount of use you can out of hatchets, knives and rifles. And I think that's a useful purpose that shouldn't be removed. If whetstones last forever then so do hatchets and knives, and that really would make quite a big difference to how the game works - not necessarily for the better. I would like to see the condition of those tools affect their effectiveness in terms of speed and calories expended to carry out their respective tasks, though - and maybe introduce a chance of cutting yourself if you're using a blunt one.

I understand that, and that's one of the reasons for the caveat about balance for deterioration, I think like I said for the knife it could dull relatively quick, therefore having to stop and use the whetstone in order to keep it sharp thus making you have to: A. Carry a whetstone (if you planned on using the knife a lot) and B. the dullness would indeed affect the time it took to accomplish tasks. like I said I use several knives when (in real life) skinning and quartering a deer, and they need to be sharpened at least once or twice depending, to keep a good edge. I like the idea of the accidents as well,  I also understand the balance issue sort of. (I think there would be a way to balance it.) 

Archived