No way not to die eventually to Food Poisoning and it sucks

FoneBoneJay

In life, there is no way to not die. We all die. The Long Dark has a theme. Impermanence. Now I don't know if the developers intended it this way but this is the feeling I get.

I have enough antibiotics to survive for a really long time but what happens when I run out. You are right. There should at least be some kind of mechanic to overcome food poisoning some how. Perhaps the more you eat, the more knowledge you gain about what kind of food is safe. Antibiotics should not be the only answer considering that millions of people survived longer than 300 days in the wild without it.

Guest Alan Lawrance

We are however making some changes so Food Poisoning is not a fatal condition (if you're careful). This will be in the next update coming next week.

Hey Alan awesome! Eagerly anticipating those changes and testing them out.

The consensus I gather is that this mechanic as it is in 1.56 doesn't really fit with the "take your life in your hands and survive by making the best choices" I hope we see a reduction in the length of time you remain ill, or expansion of the effects but reduction on the lethality. Right now if you dont have a pharmacy you die 12 hours after you get it no matter what even if you are at full health and that is out of kilter.

Good to hear. :)

Oh yeah Boreal, I plan to live forever :) just kidding.

And how exactly is that supposed to work then? I contracted food poisoning tonight, had the antibiotics but wanted to see if food poisoning is indeed survivable without using them. So I slept for 5 hours and went from 74% condition to 22%. In the first aid menu it still said I had to take antibiotics and sleep for 10 hours. I didn't want to die, so I did what the doctor ordered. But I don't see how I could have survived the food poisoning without the antibiotics.

Either I'm missing something or this isn't working as it should.

• Hinterland
And how exactly is that supposed to work then? I contracted food poisoning tonight, had the antibiotics but wanted to see if food poisoning is indeed survivable without using them. So I slept for 5 hours and went from 74% condition to 22%. In the first aid menu it still said I had to take antibiotics and sleep for 10 hours. I didn't want to die, so I did what the doctor ordered. But I don't see how I could have survived the food poisoning without the antibiotics.

It will bottom out at about 15% Condition.

So this means you will have to make sure you have a full belly of water and the correct calories in your body for the amount of sleep you take. This way you won't go below 15% with any other factor.

:shock: Now I wish I had the nerve to try sleeping some more instead of using antibiotics! Thanks for the info Raph!

4 times in 18 days I have food poisoning, there is no rhyme or reason to it, it's getting frustrating. Fresh cooked fish 100% straight off the fire, boom poison, 90% venison, boom poison and a tin of dog food at 45% ? , not a damn thing. It's getting so I'm afraid to eat I've burned through half my anti-b's in 18 days. This is going to be a short dark that's for sure.

Hello! Fantastic game and all BUT... Running around with 15% condition for the rest of the time in the game due to very limited amount of antibiotics to be found and not able to craft own antibiotics sure sucks, u wont survive even one wolf attack, and every other cause that will drain condition will do it very fast resulting in fatal outcome. This happened to me on the 11th day, after eating 98%'ish cooked fish i was poisoned, took my last two antibiotics (yes I had looted every place to be found for antibiotics) and slept for 10 hours, woke up hungry, ate two more 98% cooked fish and BAM! poisoned again.

Please remove food poisoning from eating fresh cooked fish or venison! It's nowhere realistic and ruins the fun of this game.

My two cents.

ps. (sorry for OT) but, flares does not scare away wolves, it makes them attack instantly (running latest version of the alpha)

Hello! Fantastic game and all BUT... Running around with 15% condition for the rest of the time in the game due to very limited amount of antibiotics to be found and not able to craft own antibiotics sure sucks, u wont survive even one wolf attack, and every other cause that will drain condition will do it very fast resulting in fatal outcome. This happened to me on the 11th day, after eating 98%'ish cooked fish i was poisoned, took my last two antibiotics (yes I had looted every place to be found for antibiotics) and slept for 10 hours, woke up hungry, ate two more 98% cooked fish and BAM! poisoned again.

Please remove food poisoning from eating fresh cooked fish or venison! It's nowhere realistic and ruins the fun of this game.

My two cents.

ps. (sorry for OT) but, flares does not scare away wolves, it makes them attack instantly (running latest version of the alpha)

You do realise that even though you are at 15%, you can get back to 100% condition, with eating, drinking and more sleep. When you sleep, and you have the calories in your tummy, 75cal/hr for sleep, and you are well hydrated, your % will go up the longer you sleep, and you can eventually get your condition back to 100%.

Just because you got food poisoning, and you drop down to 15 %, doesn't mean you will stay at 15 % for the rest of the game. Sleep ore and get your condition back up.

I'm just going to throw my two cents in here. I think food poisoning happens way way WAY too often. I kill a wolf, cook its meat, by the time I am done eating all of that damn wolf's meat I have been poisoned three times. But okay, maybe my character didn't cook it right or something. But then I open up a fresh can of peaches. Bam, poisoned. Open up a fresh can of pork and beans. Bam, poisoned. Open up a fresh jar of peanut butter. Bam, poisoned. Seriously, how hard do you have to try to get food poisoning from a fresh jar of friggin' peanut butter? This has been a real bummer lately and it happens just far too often to be realistic or fun. I have gotten to a point where I am literally terrified of eating in this game.

I have to agree that food poisoning happens a bit too easy. I think food that has a very high condition (say 80% or higher) should always be safe and only food with a very low condition (20% or less?) should have a good chance of giving you food poisoning. Something like this:

[table=][tr=text-align][td=margin]condition (%)[/td][td=margin]chance of attracting food poisoning (%)[/td][/tr]

[tr=text-align][td=margin]1-20[/td][td=margin]20[/td][/tr]

[tr=text-align][td=margin]21-40[/td][td=margin]10[/td][/tr]

[tr=text-align][td=margin]41-60[/td][td=margin]5[/td][/tr]

[tr=text-align][td=margin]61-80[/td][td=margin]2,5[/td][/tr]

[tr=text-align][td=margin]81-100[/td][td=margin]0[/td][/tr][/table]

I'm just going to throw my two cents in here. I think food poisoning happens way way WAY too often. I kill a wolf, cook its meat, by the time I am done eating all of that damn wolf's meat I have been poisoned three times. But okay, maybe my character didn't cook it right or something. But then I open up a fresh can of peaches. Bam, poisoned. Open up a fresh can of pork and beans. Bam, poisoned. Open up a fresh jar of peanut butter. Bam, poisoned. Seriously, how hard do you have to try to get food poisoning from a fresh jar of friggin' peanut butter? This has been a real bummer lately and it happens just far too often to be realistic or fun. I have gotten to a point where I am literally terrified of eating in this game.

Well you have to agree that even though it happens more often than in the real world and there should be somewhat stronger than real world consequences this is for realism and for challenge. Yes was it lethal before and did it detract from the other primary gameplay goal of making the player responsible and accountable for their actions, yes it did, because when you got Food Poisoning in 1.56 it killed you in 12 hours or less without Antibiotics.

I think Food Poisoning should have some limiters behind the scenes such as a maximum occurrence rate, of 3X/days, so that you can recover from it, and a typical occurrence rate of about once per week. I'd also like to see them explore a mechanic in which you can cook the food to a level of food safe certainty but also there but that it has a tradeoff such as lowering the calorie content. This could be based on the meats type too.

For example...

You have a few basic meats, right now, fish, rabbit, deer, wolf, of those fish could give you the least calories and be the most safe, because fish being cold blooded survive a few degrees above freezing in the wintertime and as soon as they are removed from water essentially exit the temperature danger zone of 40-140F. This zone is the in which bacteria grows. You get sick from 2 things, infections which are the bacterial themselves, or intoxication which are the byproducts from the bacteria munching on the cells of the carcas itself. In the real world bacteria spread, divide, and grow rapidly in this 40-140 zone such that food that more than 4 hours old can be mild illness, more than 8 hours probably will give you something, and more than 12 hours to two days, in this zone is guaranteed to get you sick and could be very serious, even lethal to the immuno compromised, elderly, children, or people with weakened immune systems.

Anyway, once you get the temperature to 165-170 degrees you kill everything in there, but can't remove the intoxication, which is why you can reheat food that is 3-4 days old from the fridge and probably not get sick but if its been on the countertop for 3-4 days you may get sick. There are other factors of course, ph value and moisture value, etc, things that have alot of moisture are good for bacterial, foods with low ph or salty stuff like pickles keeps almost forever from bacterial contamination.

When you cook meat for a long time, you reduce the overall calorie intake from it and that would be kool if they could reflect that at a basic level. Again that is the simulator player in me and maybe not the direction the game wants to go but it would add a level of depth to the cooking process right now that is pretty much just click to cook.

I have to agree that food poisoning happens a bit too easy. I think food that has a very high condition (say 80% or higher) should always be safe and only food with a very low condition (20% or less?) should have a good chance of giving you food poisoning. Something like this:

[table=][tr=text-align][td=margin]condition (%)[/td][td=margin]chance of attracting food poisoning (%)[/td][/tr]

[tr=text-align][td=margin]1-20[/td][td=margin]20[/td][/tr]

[tr=text-align][td=margin]21-40[/td][td=margin]10[/td][/tr]

[tr=text-align][td=margin]41-60[/td][td=margin]5[/td][/tr]

[tr=text-align][td=margin]61-80[/td][td=margin]2,5[/td][/tr]

[tr=text-align][td=margin]81-100[/td][td=margin]0[/td][/tr][/table]

I like this idea, I think your chances of getting sick of eating shitty foods should be more on the 50% rate though.

Hey, I think food poisoning should be much more food-dependent.

If you eat some old crackers, maybe you get some stomach-ache (and lose some 10-40% condition), but you won't probably die from it. However, if you eat some raw or old meat, you can get a serious bacterial infection in which you definitely can die without antibiotics.

The same account for tins - they can get C. botulinum, which will kill you for certain (even with antibiotics). But this should only be possible with cans under 10% condition as they are easily recognizable. These Bacteria are anaerobic and produce CO2, which makes the cans deflate.

Archived