Ideas for The Long Dark

Amy

1. Clothing hampers that can be searched for clothing

2. Coat racks that could have a coat/scarf/hat on them

3. Being able to salvage Rugs, Window curtains, blankets, pillows, etc. for cloth.

4. Desks in homes that can have stacks of paper (for tinder) on them. I mean, I know I don't live in Canada but I'm sure they have notebooks full of paper and used documents like bills and stuff.

5. Cooking eggs found in nests/houses and other foods over fires in pans/skillets/etc (ex. Raman noodles could be made with boiling water and a package of the preserved noodles. Foods like those keep for like more than a year, so it's realistic.

6. More achievements. This game has tons of potential for achievements. Achievements ideas I've thought of:

Alpha Wolf - Fend off or kill 15 wolves.

Scavenger - Salvage 50 items.

Jack Frost - Spend 48 hours outside in the cold.

Today's Forecast... - Witness 5 heavy snow-storms.

Glutton - Consume 1,000 food or drink items.

Artemis - Hunt & kill 20 animals while playing as the female survivor.

Meat Lover - Consume 20 venisons.

Explorer - Play on both Mystery Lake and Coastal Highway maps atleast 5 times each.

Survival of the Fittest - Survive 100 days.

Pyromaniac - Start 50 fires.

Wonka - Consume 20 candy bars.

McDonalds - Suffer from food poisoning 5 times.

Triptrap - Place 10 snares.

7. Jump Function.... We need a jump function!

While I agree that it's strange that you can't harvest the items in point 3, it would completely screw up the balance. There's already too much cloth available, more sources would mean you really can always just wear the best clothes you can find and keep them all at 90%+ all the time.

I have no objection against 1 and 2, as long as the total number of clothes found on the map doesn't increase by these "containers".

I like the idea of finding and cooking eggs. Anything so I don't have to hunt wolves for food is a good idea by me.

We can always use more achievements, but I'm pretty sure they have quite a few planned already.

I don't really need a jumping function personally, but I would like to be able to get over small ridges etc where I get stuck now even though anyone could easily step up over/ onto them.

While I agree that it's strange that you can't harvest the items in point 3, it would completely screw up the balance. There's already too much cloth available, more sources would mean you really can always just wear the best clothes you can find and keep them all at 90%+ all the time.

I have no objection against 1 and 2, as long as the total number of clothes found on the map doesn't increase by these "containers".

I like the idea of finding and cooking eggs. Anything so I don't have to hunt wolves for food is a good idea by me.

We can always use more achievements, but I'm pretty sure they have quite a few planned already.

I don't really need a jumping function personally, but I would like to be able to get over small ridges etc where I get stuck now even though anyone could easily step up over/ onto them.

Yeah, I agree with you on all of these points.

Yeah you're probably right, thanks for the feedback :)

More ideas I borrowed from all over the TLD Reddit page. (Not my ideas. I'm posting this for the possibility that they may be seen by a Hinterlander)

1. Crafting torches at a work bench (Woof+Cloth+Lantern fuel). Could be used just as a flare would on wolves.

2. Igloo shelters.

3. Tents.

4. Binoculars.

5. Hanging food outside to keep it frozen & sustain condition (attracts wolves as a defect)

6. Wearing multiple layers of clothing (+insulation, -weight and speed)

7. Eating and harvesting multiple items at once rather than repeating the same workflow over and over.

8. Being able to rearrange items. (Just like how you can with Lanterns and Bedrolls) (For organizational/visual uses)

9. Fishing (the ice fishing shelters in Mystic Lake imply this may be planned)

10. Bears, as a predator that is more uncommon and harder to kill than wolves.

11. Frostbite (permanent mobility or dexterity loss when using tools)

12. Adding a "cancel" button for tasks such as Sleeping, Harvesting, Foraging, Etc.

13. Getting rid of canned food's quality. Canned food is either good or it's not - it's seal is either still good, or it isn't. There is no in between. Maybe instead, add a "damaged" flag to some canned food and you run a 50/50 chance of sickness or something.

I apologize beforehand for the shortness of my response. After having written two huge post just before, I'm not feeling like elaborating a lot here :)

Already suggested: 3, 4, 8, 11, 12

Already suggested and is being considered by the devs: 1, 5, 6

Already planned: 9, 10

2. There used to be the option to build a snow shelter but it was removed in the October update. Not sure why, but probably because it wasn't used much, or maybe it wasn't functioning properly.

7. great idea! Not sure how this should be implemented though, but that's for the devs to figure out :) Maybe simply the option to select multiple items before pressing the button. Would be nice with changing clothes as well.

13. Canned food also has a expiration date even if the food usually remains good for a long time after that expires, food can spoil inside a can even if it is still sealed.

Aside from this, food expiring is simply a game mechanic. You need to keep track of the condition of all your food sources and eat things before they get too bad or take the higher risk food poisoning. If packed food wouldn't degrade at all that would be a major game changer. It would require quite a bit of balancing to counteract that.

For #2 (igloos) I dont mean build them, I mean have them already made. Basically you're out exploring and you find an igloo with a dead body and a backpack with some supplies in it maybe. I don't know, I just like little goodies like that when you're exploring. That's my favorite part of this game! :)

I am totally ambivalent to achievements. I never understood what's the appeal of a game patting my back "you have spent 50 hours playing this computer game". But to each its own

Something else, you expect eggs? IN WINTER?

For most, achievements are just extra things to do, or bragging rights. After they've explored and survived on a map, they can try to get all the achievements for extra fun. They're especially fun when they're crazy or hard achievements. (I was just giving examples off my head, they weren't really genius or anything). I'm just in highschool, I'm no game developer, I just like contributing my 2 cents to the community (whether good or bad).

Well, who said it's Winter? I mean, theres visible birds flying around in game, so it's possible for it to be snowing in like Spring or something considering it's Northern Canada... :P But no it doesnt have to be eggs, I just want more ways of getting food than just from hunting or searching buildings. Diversity makes exploring more fun!

There are some good ideas but most of them have been suggested by other people.

Achievements that only tell how long you have played a game are pointless. If you want to "brag" about something it should be something that actually matters, and not that you harvested 50 items, or consumed 50,000 calories. Please don't take this the wrong way, but this is complete baloney.

Concerning eggs. TLD takes place in Winter, I thought that was obvious. You are not the first person who suggested birds eggs, and I found that a really odd idea under the conditions. In winter you have a small chance to find mushrooms growing on trees but I bet you won't find a single egg in all of Canada. But I assume if there is another episode that takes place in spring, 99.99% sure there will be birds eggs.

And please don't take it the wrong way if I was a little abrasive - it's just that I don't like this achievement stuff one bit, especially if it's terribly obtrusive like in Steam.

There are always some new ideas found in posts like yours. Clothing hampers fopr example, is something that I have not seen mentioned before. Had to look the word but, didn't know what a hamper was till 2 minutes ago :) Very good idea, people don't just have neat closets, there also has to be garbage bins and hampers.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally would enjoy the following:

1. remove the weight from clothes, although they do have it once we wear clothes we usually don't feel it and it doesn't limit us as much as the extra load. I'm a fireman and the heavy jacket is barely a bother, only the axt, flashlight, gas bottle etc. actually make me less mobile. Anyway if not remove it from the counter, at least reuce its effects.

2. I would like to be able to pick up a backpack and increase the amount I can carry without being encumbered.

3. having a sledge mechanic that serves as a mobile storage unit would be great, but it would have to be as rare as a rifle at least. One could sleep in it, pull it around, but not up steep hills and it would serve as a storage, to keep and transport more stuff in total, as a slinding weight is easier to pull than carrying the same amount.

4. I really support the idea of getting cloth from hangers and scrap metal from cans and old pans.

5. but make harvesting require tools or sewing kit respectively.

6. Also, fixing stuff should use less cloth if the percentage to fix is lower. The cloth you're carrying shouldn't be counted as units but as a bar that is used in the same fashion as it is used for fixing. Example: I would find socks worth 150g of cloth and remove a curtain worth 1kg, to fix my jacket I would require 1,5kg and after fixing it my jacket would still net 350g of fixing but its percentage would now be much better. This would reflect reality better imo.

Thanks for the great game and good luck for the future. Hope these ideas were helpfull.

Archived