Ability to update charcoal maps when using up resources

konzacelt

Not sure if this is a big deal, but I find it really hard to remember which resources on my hand-drawn map I've already used, and which ones I haven't.

When travelling around gathering resources, I tend to leave some things untaken just so I know they are there when I have to come back at a later time.  So for instance, sometimes I'll take all of the moss from a tree, and sometimes I won't...it kind of depends on if I need it right away or not.  When mapping, there's no way to "erase" moss locations from the map after you've used them.

And there's been more than a few times I've run into trouble because I thought I had a certain resource close by (according to my map) but I actually already used it way back when.  Does anyone else get a little annoyed by this?  :-/

there is a way to do this already, unless it was changed in some of the latest updates :D 

Once you harvest the resources, use the charcoal again to survey the area you already surveyed before. This should update the map, remove all the harvested resources from it. 

I think this is the way the maps were meant to work - not only as a "map" of the area, but also as an easy way to mark up some interesting things and where to find them so that you can return later to harvest them. I mean, that is how I usually use them maps. Not really for directions.
There is a reason why the map marks down the resources like animal corpses and logs of firewood... so you know where they are and can come harvest em later.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd personally rather have it so the map doesn't include details like resources at all. I think it's better if it's just a stylised overview of the terrain and primary locations. 

Anything that can be removed from the environment shouldn't be on the map, in my opinion. Not only would that clear up the types of confusion mentioned above, it'd also generally reduce clutter, make the map look more attractive and arty, and prevent you from "finding" things that you haven't actually seen yet by doing a map sketch to reveal nearby resources. 

Archived