I am cursed.

Mroz4k

This is not really a story of my experience with 4 Days of Night event, more like my story of why I dont have a story of 4 Days of Night. If you dont wanna read about my misfortunes, dont bother to read further :D 

Warning that a lot of salt was spilled over the last three years. :D 

Lets start with my first try.

Two years ago, I had a Lenovo Ideapad gaming laptop. The Halloween was coming in, and the 4DON event was hinted. I have prepared myself mentally, for what I believed would be a fun spooky time...

Then, a computer virus happened from installing a freeware for doodles that a friend of mine from different forums suggested. I have learned my lesson to never download from a download server again... a real shame that I didnt realize the website wasnt the official releaser of that doodle software... The virus made it impossible to run anything on my laptop, till I was able to purge it.

Eventually, I purged the virus from that laptop. But it had already been too late... the event was over.

Next year, I told to myself.

A year passed. The Haloween was drawing in near... and the TLD update came out! Aurora was here, I think... and a new graphics update.

Not sure if it was the aftermath of the havoc, unleashed by the virus, or just extensive use and aging out... but my old Lenovo gaming laptop could no longer handle TLD with its new fancy graphics. I sobbed a bit, and cursed my laptop for the old bucket of bolts it was... little did I know I would drop it on my way out of a university lecture some two weeks after the event ended, and essentially sealing its fate as it passed out into a silicone heaven...

Today, I have an old "working" laptop from second hand - from Fujitsu. Despite being outdated and intended for work, it can run TLD quite well on lower graphics. This Halloween, I knew it was time... this year, I SHALL PLAY the 4DON! Finally!

Then, the newest update to Windows 10 happened. This was some two weeks before the event took place. My computer died, and there was nothing I could do... but to reinstall it. It took some three tries, but a friend of mine helped me reinstall the PC in time for the event. The Halloween was coming in, and I was looking forward to it.

On the day of the launch, I turned my laptop off and went to work. I arrived late at night and decided to start it again.

Windows shows up. "Repairing C:drive" - 1%, 4%, 15%, 46%, 70%, 100%. Initiating. Finally, the screen is on! I open up web browser to check my emails before I decide to run TLD.
It takes a long time, finally the browser opens, and crashes...

Turned out that awful windows update loaded up again and messed up my laptop a second time. Couldnt reinstall it again, didnt have the USB stick for it and had no way of making a new one. Had to wait 5 days to meet up with my friend again to have it reinstalled...

I have not given up hope yet. I will play the 4DON next year!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...