Throw gear off cliffs

sardiskan

So I think it would be nice to be able to throw gear off of cliffs so you don't have to carry it down the mountaineering rope. I made it to the top of a rather tall cliff via mountaineering rope in Hushed River Valley and found several items including the heavy hammer. When I finished up and got back to the rope to repel, I couldn't do so because I was overburdened. I had to drop several items like chopped wood and the heavy hammer to descend. Once I got to the bottom, I had to rest, drop some gear, and ascend back up to get the gear I'd dropped, most importantly, the heavy hammer. I feel like it would be reasonable to be able to drop things like chopped wood and the heavy hammer along with several other "heavy" items off of the cliff so I can pick it up again when I get to the bottom. This way I don't have to keep going up and down the cliff wasting precious energy and calories for items that could easily have been dropped off the cliff.

As a counter balance, for tools you throw off the cliffs it would incur a durability loss depending on what the item was, how far it fell, and maybe what it landed on (snow/hard ground). For chopped wood, perhaps there comes with a chance of it "splintering" into sticks depending on how far it falls and what it lands on. Certain items you can't throw like clothing as the wind would catch the clothing and carry it far from the intended LZ.

Anyway, just something I though that would make things a little bit better.

Hi @sardiskan, and welcome to the forums!

If you get close enough to the edge of the cliff you can drop your items via menu screen and they will (most likely) fall to the bottom. Some may end up on the floor next to you, but other will definitely fall down. 

Downside is... that you also may end up down (pun intended :)). 

Besides, better doing this next to the deployed rope. Then you can climb back with it should you venture too close to the edge and get stuck there.

IRL it seems like tying your gear to the bottom of the rope then climbing up, then pulling gear up would be a better strategy but I agree with you. Things like firewood (if its a large pie shaped piece it might break in half but otherwise not even 1000+ foot cliff can hurt firewood), cooking pots, prybars and bundles of clothes (tie arms together on shirts and legs together on pants and as long as no blizzard they shouldn't fall far away) should all be totally fine to drop off a short cliff.

I personally like that I cannot take everything in one go -- that like in most parts of this game, I have to choose risk/reward.  Do I make two trips to lug more gear down?  Or leave the cornucopia of goods to freeze at the peak of TWM.

If we were to throw things off the ledge, I'd hope there would be a certain percentage chance of "ruined" or at least condition damage.  Sure, it doesn't make sense for some items, but for a simple mechanic that allows you to throw a Rifle, Wood and Feathers down a cliff-face, I could see it being a generalized approach.

Archived