Making TLD more alive

Fellow Survivor

So I just saw the Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay trailer and it made me think - I wish the game was a bit more well... natural. (I get that Hinterland probably doesn't have CD projekt red's budget but still) - the world in that game is so fluid and not forced.

TL:DR this is a post about the animal interactions/making the wildlife seem less robotic (Mainly the wolves tbh).

Suggestions - some you've likely seen on the forums before:

• Migration - instead of hanging around and walking around in circles or teleporting to a different spawn when the player is not around, deer and wolves have fixed migration paths that lead them all around the map and occasionally stopping - for deer to graze and for the wolves to get a chance to hunt. Occasionally wolves would stop where rabbits hang out or sometimes the migration paths of the wolves and deer would meet and a grand chase would begin. A simple solution for too many deer carcasses is to have them completely ravaged and not harvestable for any resource.
  • Less linear, unpredictable outcomes - When a wolf catches on to the scent of a deer, that doesn't mean the kill should be guaranteed - maybe the deer escapes, or at the very least the chase should probably be a bit more interesting
  • Wolf pack interaction - A lowly beta wolf is feasting on its prey before an alpha comes along and they have a growling contest before the other one backs down
  • Moose as prey - perhaps a daring wolf attacks the moose but the moose stampedes at it, killing the wolf in the process
  • Wolves hunting as a pack - when you hear that bark, it's not just one anymore, but many. Obviously if you cannot escaped you still only struggle with the first one to catch up to you. Hunting rifle shots scare the rest away whereas without one you simply need a torch or a flare.
  • Wolf intelligence - wolves often use flanking tactics while hunting their prey irl
  • Wildlife children and genders - Deer males can have bigger antlers and be more aggressive, while bear mothers would hunt you relentlessly if you kill their defenseless cub(s)

End note - I know a lot of these ideas are likely wishful thinking (e.g. the moose one probably because then it might be too easy to get wolf pelts but considering the moose would still be nearby and they're rare as it is.. maybe it's possible) but although I love the game as it is, it sometimes feels like the animals only exist there for you and not as part of a fluid, dynamic world. Criticise away!

• 1 month later...
Guest Gamer935
On 23/10/2018 at 1:06 AM, gnomegnine said:

The long dark is supposed to be quiet. and bland at some points. Whenever I fire a rifle I feel like I woke up the world. I like this idea, but I think it would be hard for hinterland to do.

I love the sound of the rifle echoing over the mountains 

Archived