Reading: smaller segments? Assessing game mechanics

Klobberthon

I love the new cooking system and the opportunities for multitasking it provides.  I find it perfect for catching up on fire-side reading... or it would be perfect if the survivor could read in smaller segments (30 min?) rather than limited to 1 hour intervals.  1 hour minimum makes sense for sleeping, but there is no reason other timers have to adhere to that standard.

I'm not saying they should go overboard by allowing micro managing down to the minute (unnecessary), but an hour in this case is too long. 

For the sake of argument, I would assess game mechanics like this one in the following ways:  a) is it necessary?  b) does it add to (or enable) enjoyment of the game? c) does it challenge the player in a meaningful or enjoyable way? d) does it work in harmony with other game mechanics? e) reader: "ok I get the point"

I would say the 1 hour reading requirement answers the questions: a) no, b) not really, c) challenges the player... but not in a meaningful or enjoyable way, d) half-way harmonious.

I would apply these questions to the following as well:

-Inability to cut meat into smaller segments (I know you can work around this by canceling consumption)

-Cabin Fever (controversial, I know.  I would tune it back a bit though)

-Intestinal Parasites (the RNG element bothers me a bit but I think this one actually stands up fairly well to the questions.  I just think it's not perfect)

-Inability to dismantle campfires 

-Menu and radial menu list priorities (example: when lit, burning torch should be the default option to light a fire with rather than a new match)

The establishment of new evaluation methods in TLD science has its merits. But the true - the bold - scientist will go beyond the mere establishment into the field of application. Then, returning to the community, his/her half-burned hair still smouldering, the rags of his lab coat hanging about him/her, will report findings, state the before un-stated, push the boundaries of knowledge into the concrete. Do ye not say what ye WOULD do. DO it!

9 hours ago, Hotzn said:

The establishment of new evaluation methods in TLD science has its merits. But the true - the bold - scientist will go beyond the mere establishment into the field of application. Then, returning to the community, his/her half-burned hair still smouldering, the rags of his lab coat hanging about him/her, will report findings, state the before un-stated, push the boundaries of knowledge into the concrete. Do ye not say what ye WOULD do. DO it!

lol.  Well I'll get back to you once I've either built the game from scratch with my changes, created a mod or joined the Hinterland team...

Or I'll just say what I WOULD do (or more accurately what I WOULD LIKE to see happen).  That's the point of the Wish List forums silly

Archived