Free Roam or not?

pixelatedsand

I think free roam is great, I understand the need for some linearity in a game to make sure you get the whole story that was written for you but I also like the ability to make my own choices/mistakes and then face the consequences of those decisions. Hopefully this game will allow you enough freedom that you can enjoy a bit of the world that is outside the scope of the written story even while playing the story mode. What could be more fun than having hiking up the top of a peak that may yield wondrous views and then having your face ripped off by a wolverine?

There will be a free roam survival mode aside from the story and I'm pretty sure it will be important to keep the game replayable. Considering the random nature of items and events you wouldn't be able to figure out the best way to survive quickly but I'd assume if you played it 50 times you'd remember the landmarks and that would help you survive longer and better, I see great potential with that.

Open world is definitely the way to go. In Dead Rising you could choose to completely ignore the story and go off on your own and have fun, or you could try to advance the plot along and see how it all turned out. That's the best approach for stuff like this, in my opinion.

The impression I have got from what has been said so far, is that the 'main game' is the story mode, and then there is also a survival sandbox game to extend the gameplay - so I am getting a sense that the main focus of the game will be a story based linear gameplay.

In my book, the most desirable gameplay would have been a free roaming sandbox survival simulator, with a story (or multiple stories) within the sandbox game, perhaps something like Fallout 3, but I do understand that this kind of gameplay would require a large team and funding as so many assets would have to be made.

Has to be free roam, otherwise it's not realistic. As long as there are decent landmarks, surely it's the whole point of the game, you SHOULD be able to get lost in the wilderness. I agree it's good to have a story too, but it should be playable within the sandbox. I'd really like it to be as realistic as possible.

Perhaps there will be some sense of "freedom" in the story mode, but I am pretty sure that it will be a gameplay where certain areas have to be visited, and certain tasks to be accomplished in a linear fashion in order to progress in the game.

Hopefully there will be many alternative ways to solve problems, and hopefully these decisions will have a strong impact on gameplay (such as in telltale's Walking Dead series).

I do really admire true sandbox games such as Skyrim where you can do as you please, but there is a downside to that - many people find that these kinds of games lack any true goals. However this kind of free roaming gameplay would fit TLD perfectly, where the main goal is to survive - so I truly wish that a lot of emphasis will be put into the sandbox game as well..

my understanding is that actually its not free roam as in total freedom. There are events and areas to progress through and you will go from one stage to another and (not 100% sure, still waking up here) you will not be able to go back, or at least that is what I interpreted from that.

tbh I dont care, have you seen the talent on this team? this whole concentration people have on open world is overrated. I am happy as long as the game is good. What if we all want open world and their vision suites some other system better?

I would not totally trust all design teams but this one? You'd be mad not to

Is it not free roam already?

Where did you find that? I'm just looking for opinions on whether people think it's a good idea or not.

In Project Update #10 they explain what they are going for with the game. It looks like there will be a Survival Story mode, which they say is similar in structure to a Fallout or Skyrim type game. Then there is a Survival Sandbox mode "where your goal is to simply survive as long as possible." Sounds pretty awesome to me!

I am curious to see how large a world we will be able to traverse and as the Seasons go by how they are able to change the environment.

Also wonder how interactive the world will be. If you find a broken down car can you look for items or possibly get in for safety? So many interesting possibilities!

In Project Update #10 they explain what they are going for with the game. It looks like there will be a Survival Story mode, which they say is similar in structure to a Fallout or Skyrim type game. Then there is a Survival Sandbox mode "where your goal is to simply survive as long as possible." Sounds pretty awesome to me!

Will there be leaderboards for survival time? That would be sort of a cool way to get a badge for the forums "Survived 100 days" heh. I'll probably play more in sandbox mode, because really that's what drew me to the game. I understand some people need the linear story mode but I would rather write my own story about a particular character's survival for as long as possible. That's not to say I won't play the story, if there's there, it must be played, but I think the sandbox is where I'll be hiding out a lot.

Brendan brings up another interesting point - If we find a car can you use it? Or even certain parts of it to make a weapon or shelter, etc. It's not exactly crafting as much as it is utilizing the environment around you and the unique elements in it. Even if it were in some reduced way (because whatever it is, it will have to be coded, modeled and painted by someone). Could be a good place for the community to get involved?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

id love to be able to traverse to the distant mountains in the horizon...which is what i was lead to believe i could do by many youtubers. i still love the game, and ive heard that later there will be new regions to visit. but it would be nice if eventually they linked all these regions together.

well as indicated by Bill, we will get a new map with the next big update, which will happen somewhere in the last week of October. That map supposedly will be a lot bigger than the one we're using now. Let's wait and see how this turns out.

Also: @SnoperMZ Why do you answer to a thread that was last active 1 year ago? xD

Archived